Stocking Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gauge

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just set up a 92-gallon corner tank, and I moved my 42-gallon hex tank's stock over to it and after about a week the water is testing out perfectly. I'm now considering my options on live stock and I figure I should put them all in one thread. For now, I only have one, though. I'm wondering about Leaffish. I have been trying to find some information on these fish, but everything I've seen so far is very weak and brief. Here are a couple questions:

1. Are they reef safe?
2. Are they agressive?
3. Can anyone give me some information on their venom? (threat to other fish? threat to owner? etc.)
4. Are they very active?
5. Any reason that I should or should not get one?

Thanks in advance.

Gauge said:
1. Are they reef safe?
More like reef friendly. They are no danger to corals but will eat mobile inverts and small fish upto ½ it's body size.

2. Are they agressive?
Not in the sense I think you mean. They are aggressive hunters though.

3. Can anyone give me some information on their venom? (threat to other fish? threat to owner? etc.)
No clue although I do know you don't want to get stung. Other fish in the tank will most likely know enough to steer clear. If stung though, most fish will not survive unless quite large.

4. Are they very active?
Not at all. They more or less crawl along the rock and substrate. They do not swim.

5. Any reason that I should or should not get one?
Other than being difficult to acclimate to prepared (dead) foods and invert tank mates, no reason not to get one. They should not be fed more than 2-3 times a week (smaller portions) depending on size. The main causes for death will be overfeeding, refusing to eat and it has also been suggested that air gulping during transport can cause death. Think of them as a lazy lionfish as far as care.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom