Stocking Questions??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nyghtone

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, I've done it, I've finally narrowed down my fish list to what I think will someday stock my 75 gal SW tank. I would like any advice anyone would like to give as to whether I might be overstocked, or any other possible concerns, mix matches, etc...

2 False Clowns
1 Blue Tang
1 Copper Banded Butterfly
1 Mandorin Dragonet
Assorted cleaner crew

As much as a REALLY WANT one, I hae decided from my research that it would simply not be humane to keep a Moorish Idol in this tank, so I've decided on a Copper Banded Butterfly instead, a fish I really didn't like at first, but have really grown to appriciate with trips to the fish store.

I plan on doing the Dragonet and butterfly last, as I know that they need lotsa rock to eat. My plans are to have around 120 pounds of LR by the time I add them. I'm going to order from many differant places and see what I can get to grow off of them naturally without adding any Corals, and go from there.

I want to keep the tank TOTALLY reef friendly just in case I decide to add something someday.

Any thoughts?? Joshua...

You've chosen a couple of "difficult care level" fish - the butterfly and mandarin. Sounds like you're gonna take your time. A mature tank will be needed for both. The mandarin will not only need rocks, but plenty of pods living within them. I never had a blue tang, but I understand they can be ick magnets. Then again, others have had very good luck with'm.

Got your plans for a QT tank too?

Good luck.

Good choice on the moorish idol. The sad fact is that they just do not live well in captivity. The large public aquarium at our zoo does not even attempt these fish. Austins dad is right on the copperband and the dragonet. two of my favorite fish. Both need LOTS of LR with algea for grazing (copperband) and pods for eating (dragonet). The Copperband is my favorite all-time fish. They do well in established tanks once you canget them to eat. Many do not adapt to aquarium foods so they slowly starve to death. the key is feeding a variety to find what it likes. I have had mine for well over a year now without any problems. good luck! Lando

Right on, I was afraid a million people were gonna be like, to much fish for a 75 gal, haha. I also have plans of getting a refugium well establlished before I add the dragonet. I understand that this can help grow pods for them to eat. Problem is that I don't understand fuges at all!!! haha, so that's my next homework I guess, learn everything I can about fuges, lol.

On an off topic side note, I think I found an unethical seller of aquarium products on ebay, not sure though :(. So anyways, no overflow box for me, guess I'll have to keep looking...

Thanks, Joshua...

A fuge is a good idea. Sort of the "up and coming" new thing in SW tanks. Think of it as a small tank within the big tank. Fuges have substrate and LR with plants and algea. They do require lighting for the various life forms to grow. Wonderful biological filtration. Mangroves planted in there will also provide "mechanical" filtration.

Maybe somebody can help me out here, I have found plans to build an in sump fuge, which sounds ideal for my space situation, however, I don't understand how the pods can get from the fuge to the tank, can they actually survive a ride through a Mag5 pump????

I understand the theory, and love the idea, could just use some help in understanding what exactly grows in a fuge, how it gets to my tank, and if my UV sterilizer will kill the pods and what not???? Any help is greatly appriciated!!

Thanks, Joshua...

srgetz said:
1 Blue Tang

Ok, I assume you mean Hippo or Regal tang (Dori), right? There's also an Atlantic Blue and the powder blue! All good hardy choices AFAIK!

Your assumption is correct, although I would WAY prefer a powder blue tang, it is my understanding that it would outgrow my 75 gal tank. If this is indeed not true, I will pick it over the regal ANY day, any thoughts?

I'm hugely against people keeping pets without the proper homes, that is why I am asking these very questions!!!

Thanks, Joshua...

Yes they recommend 100g for that guy (powder blue). http://www.marinedepotlive.com/fish-tangs.html

Another choice you could look at is Acanthurus japonicus, the powder brown tang (white faced tang). Calls for 75-80g depending where you look and says he grows to around 6" in captivity. Very pretty fish, though these pictures don't do it justice, my book has a good one. Here's info on it: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/GoldRimSs.htm

http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/Spe...75&genusname=Acanthurus&speciesname=japonicus

just remember regal tangs (dori) get just as big as powder blues, there is an absolutely huge one 10" in my local fish store. And tangs make much more use of the horizontal space than the tank depth from my observations of my powder blue tang. I would suggest a powder blue over a dori tang since I simply love mine =). though I have plans for a 6' tank sometime soon

Yes, after doing a little more research I think I will go with the powder blue tang, it seems that it may outgrow the tank, but it wouldn't be for awhile, and if it does, it doesn't look like I'd have any problems getting somebody to take it off of my hands, haha.

So the powder blue it is, absolutly breathtaking!!!

Thanks, Joshua...

The powder blue tang is not as hardy as most may think. They are truly the worst ich magnet, and they can be stressed very easily. They are a very beautiful fish though. :wink:

I have one more question, would adding one neon blue goby to this setup add to much bio-load??? I've heard that they are very good fish cleaners and from other posts look like a healthy addition. I saw one today in the lfs and they are also very pretty, any thoughts???

Thanks, Joshua...

I will go with the powder blue tang, it seems that it may outgrow the tank, but it wouldn't be for awhile

Cool...fishfreek, the site admin has a nice one in his 80g. But that tank is a unique 6ft, not 4 like a 75. Kinda like a extra long 55g I guess... Check out his profile.

Back
Top Bottom