Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-10-2011, 02:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
stocking suggestions

hey there, i have a fairly new saltwater setup, the whole thing has been up and running for about 9 or 10 months, with one move of house along the way.

in it i had a bubble tip anemone, 5 heads of frogspawn, a few frags of zoas and a few little pieces here and there.
the livestock was 4 damsels (domino, blue, yellowtail and 4 stripe) and one little fish who is a mystery. also snails and hermits

the yellow tail disappeared about 2 monhs ago. assume he was eaten by the hermit crabs.

so i went to get a mated pair of true percs, and a 6 line wrasse, and was given an engineer goby as a bonus. he's about 6 inches.

My question is are they all going to be ok in the 40 breeder i have? i was planning on getting rid of the damsels, but due to the storms, the store was closed when i wanted to take them in. Now, they are all getting along pretty well. Domino hosts the BTA and the clowns host the other end of the tank. the wrasse seems to be good buddies with the clowns, and periodically taunts the domino into chasing him into the clown territory for a whipping.
otherwise they seem fine. Should i take the damsels in? the clowns and wrasse are bigger than the damsels, and with the wrasse having a pair of protectors, i think he should be fine.. Is it too many fish?

the plan is to upgrade to either an 85 or a 125 in about 5 months, so the goby should have no problems with growing or being cramped...

sarahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
an engineer goby is going to bury the sand bed corals.
a domino damsel is touching a bubble tip anemone, and not being stung or eaten? that is amazing.
i would remove the damsels simply because they are extra bioload and it sounds like you aren't that fond of them. if you like them, keep them. i don't think your tank is overstocked. damsels are pretty small.

mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:16 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Agreed, I would get the damsels out before they get too crazy and aggressive. But I would say you are fine on the stocking. You should get a picture up of your mystery fish for us to see.
Links to old builds:
12DX LED Build
Frag Tank (Fixed Link)
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:43 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
ok update

we're still iced in, but no worries still on the fish killing each other, they seem to be getting along fine.

So domino is in love with this anemone. he's been loving it all day every day since it moved to it's curent agreeable spot.
i may end up keeping him, i don't want to break his heart by taking him away from his lovey. i googled it, and a website said it's not common for a domino to love on an anemone, but it happens.. i HAVE to get pics, he's the image of bliss in it..
Old 01-11-2011, 08:53 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

there is the little fella. he's usually a lighter gray color

stocking, suggestions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com