stocking suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

haus

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have an empty 30 gal and an empty 10 gal tank. I want to use the 10 gal as a sump and make the 30 gal a reef. My 55 gal fowlr doesn't have the really bright colors that I would like, so I would like to make the 30 gal as colorful as possible. I was thinking about a yellow watchman goby, royal gramma, and purple fire fish. Would that be too much for a 30 gal? I've got to do some research before I decide what corals I choose, I don't know much about them yet. Would 200 watts of lighting be too much for a 30 gal, or should I keep it closer to 5 watts/gal.? TIA

*bump* - I was also thinking about having a Manderine Fish in there, but I think it may be too small. I will have lr in the sump and as much as possible in the tank. What about a Manderine and a Purple Firefish?

I do not think a manderin will last too long in a 30gal. It has been suggested that over 100lbs of LR and a mature tank with a healthy pod population is a minimum requirement for this fish. A fuge r sump is also a great idea.
Would 200 watts of lighting be too much for a 30 gal, or should I keep it closer to 5 watts/gal.? TIA
Depends on the corals you want to keep. It is not too much, rather could be over-kill if you do not plan on high light-intensive animals.
I was thinking about a yellow watchman goby, royal gramma, and purple fire fish.
Sounds good. Don;t forget the pistol shrimp.

I figured that 30 gal was too small for a Manderine, but I thought I would ask anyways :roll: . Wishful thinking I guess.

Depends on the corals you want to keep. It is not too much, rather could be over-kill if you do not plan on high light-intensive animals.

I just want to make sure that having too much light wouldn't "fry" what I have in the tank. I don't want to have lighting that would harm the corals or the fish.

Thanks for the input :D

Back
Top Bottom