Stocking suggestions for 10 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

summitxho

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I know its really small to start, but its already cycling so I am wondering, when it is done, does anybody have any stocking suggestions? It is a 10 gallon with 10 lbs of live rock, penguin 150 filter, carib-sea white sand. I was thinking at first a clown and a damsel, but have heard damsels are too aggresive, so what about a false percula clown and a firefish? basically I am looking for something colourful for a FOWLR tank, and possibly in the future throw some coral in there. Any other suggestions? I was thinking those 2 would be the most colorful for a tank that size. Also I was wondering if someone could recommend some inverts for cleanup crew? There is so many to choose from that do different things I am only getting myself confused, I just want them to keep the tank clean and algy to a minimum. Thanks

I haven't been into the Marine Aquarium scene for long but starting in a 10 gallon tank is not recommended. However, I know you have already started cycling it so I would suggest something small like a Watchman Goby which will love your Carib-sea White Sand. But check with your Local Fish Store to find out exactly what fish will not outgrow your tank. I'm sorry I'm not of that much help. I have a 55 gallon tank with Extremely Large Aggressive fish and eel.

I have checked out liveaquaria.com extensivley, that nano section on fish is great, but I was thinking there may be alot of other species that they do not carry that I did not want to miss, will definetly check up on the other recommendations, and I know its a small tank to start, but I bought it from LFS advice (yeah another one of those stories) and unfortuneatly found this site after I had bought all the equiptment needed. At least its gonna give me a taste of what its like before I invest thousands in a larger tank (thinking like that makes my decision not sting so bad :lol: ) Thanks again for the replies

I started a 10 gallon nano reef aquarium myself a few months ago. I chose a firefish, bi-color blennie and a yellow clown gobie as it's inhabitants. All are doing great so far and have great personalities.

I would stock as follows.

5 nassarius snails
5 margurita snails
5 blue leg hermits
2 peppermint shrimp

pair of tank raised false percula clown fish

OR

goby/pistol shrimp combo+purple firefish

I've had my 10 for a year. Citrons would be cool because they're bright yellow and are small. I also had a 6-line wrasse in there until he tried eating a small pistol and it beat the snot out of him. A watchman is cool too.

I'm working on improving the system, and once it's finished I will be putting in a pair of black clowns. I'm excited about them. They'll probably be the only fish.

-j

Back
Top Bottom