Stocking suggestions for a FOWLR tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RYANLAWRENCE

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok my tank has just finished cycling. Now I get to think about fish finally! This was my stocking plan and I want to see if it would work. I would add them over a period of a couple of months starting with the first fish listed. Tell me your opinions. oh and yeah I have a 40 gallon FOWLR tank with trickle filter, octopus protein skimmer, and powerheads if that helps. Thanks and tell me what you think!

2 juvenille ocellaris clownfish

1 coral beauty angelfish

1 royal gramma

2 chalk basslets

2 neon gobies

1 valentini pufferfish

Thanks!

The royal gramma and the chalks will have issues, they are both of the basslet family.
Also, please research puffer care, they require special needs that if not met, can cause problems. They can also be quite aggressive.

If the neon gobies are not mated/paired they will also fight. To the death. Blennies and gobies that are near the same shape or color will fight eachother unless mated/paired.

Puffers may take out your stock list plus any and all clean up crews as they need the crustations to trim thier "beak" teeth + 1 to the above advice Pls see other thread on puffers :D

Ok thanks again. does anyone think this is too many fish? and also i will not have the chalk basslets since they will fight, i will switch them with some other small fish. and also i believe neon gobies are all born male and then will switch to females kinda like clownfish so if i were to get two juveniles i would be fine right?

9 fish in a 40 is way overstocked (especially the sizes they can get to ) IMHHO ... Go for less is more . More colorful or species only ...I just think that you are headed down a road that will eventually fustrate you out of the hobby ...and not wanting the advice of those of us who have traveled that road already ..

remember there is a chance with the coral beauty that he will nip at any corals you might add down the line. A lot of people start FOWLR, then change their minds down the line, just leave yourself some wiggle room.

Back
Top Bottom