Stocking tangs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dlsrks

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 140 gallon FOWLR tank I'm setting up. I would like to get several tangs. I know your not suppose to get more than one of the same shape. However I would like to get a Scopas tang, yellow tang and Sailfin tang. If they were all added at the same time when they are juveniles at the same time, do you think they would live together without killing each other?

If they were added at the same time you should be OK. I have two of those three.

029.jpg

know your not suppose to get more than one of the same shape.
Just be clear I'm pretty sure the tangs aren't supposed to be part of the same phylum (I think), but like you said if added together the chances of success will be higher. Also, I think a lot of the competition comes from fear of resources (in the wild they are a schooling fish) so if kept well fed and with adequate space for each fish I also think chance are raised.

I have a salifin and a yellow in a 40 gallon breeder and introduced them at different times and they are buddies. They hang with each other and I have never seen them aggressive towards each other.

I have a salifin and a yellow in a 40 gallon breeder and introduced them at different times and they are buddies. They hang with each other and I have never seen them aggressive towards each other.

A 40 gallon is way too small for these two tangs.

Tank is 140 gallon. So far I've only have a black saddleback clownfish in there. Just ordered some false percula clownfish and two Bangaii cardinals. They should very happy in the tank.

Wow a sailfin in a 40G. This could start whole new thread.

I think there's lots of people against keeping tangs unless your aquarium is huge. I think keep as many as you think are happy in your tank. Just keep in mind they are prone to stress and therefore ich. Also they need plenty of swimming space. They also vary in size so watch out for the ones that get massive!

If you do get them definitely try to get them roughy the same size and add them at the same time. Just watch out for more clowns though...... Usually only one pair per tank is recommended. They can fight.... And eventually kill one pair.

Not mixing clowns like my other tank. Not going through that again. Cinnamon clown does not mix well with maroon clownfish when added at different times. Lol. Thankfully they get along now. Will be adding entire species at a time for the new tank. Clowns first, then cardinals, dartfish, gobies, wrasses, dwarf angel then tangs. Plan on giving each group couple of weeks before adding the next group. That's why I was wondering whether more than one tang can co-exist if added at the same time even though its only a 140 gallon tank.

Back
Top Bottom