Stocking up 6 footer 132g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weekf

Aquarium Advice Freak
Could anyone suggest what I can keep in my new 6 foot tank?

Currently I am looking forward to only FOWLR. No coral for the time being. How many fish can I keep not to exceed the bioloads? I will be looking forward to some tangs and groupers. But a blue tang, a yellow tang, and 5 blue chromis are already on the list. Can I keep powder blue tang as well? I heard they are hard to keep in captivity and will be very aggressive towards other fish in the tank.

I will prefer swimmers in this long tank as I have already got small fishes in my 20g nano.

Just need some opinion.

I don't remember the size per gallon rule off the top of my head but keeping groupers that will get huge I would not recommend keeping small fish like chromis in there.

Just my opinion though.

Fish capacity calculator:
http://www.fantasyreef.com/flash/calculator.html

Remember to take into consideration the adult size of the fish. Not the size when you buy it. Most fish grow rather quickly. Groupers are messy messy eaters and will add considerably to the bioload. They are also very aggressive, might want to stick with just tangs. In that tank I would say you would do alright with 3 tangs. Both the powder blue and hippo are rather prone to ich, that is the big downside to them.

Fish capacity calculator:
http://www.fantasyreef.com/flash/calculator.html

Remember to take into consideration the adult size of the fish. Not the size when you buy it. Most fish grow rather quickly. Groupers are messy messy eaters and will add considerably to the bioload. They are also very aggressive, might want to stick with just tangs. In that tank I would say you would do alright with 3 tangs. Both the powder blue and hippo are rather prone to ich, that is the big downside to them.

I would stick with tangs instead. The powder blues and purple tangs are what we call ick magnets so be careful. Try the yellow and sailfin.

Back
Top Bottom