Stone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It makes a big difference, ask anyone who doesnt use a carbonate based substrate/rock about pH problems.

It makes a big difference, ask anyone who doesnt use a carbonate based substrate/rock about pH problems

Really? I know several who don't use LR at all and experience no problem...

It doesnt have to be LR.. any carbonate based rock or cc/aragonite sand will go a long way to buffer pH.

But I don't see how if you have silica sand and non-carbonate rock you can possibly keep pH up for any length of time without adding buffer.

But I don't see how if you have silica sand and non-carbonate rock you can possibly keep pH up for any length of time without adding buffer

Water changes do a lot of the work in a low Alk/Ca demanding tank (non reefs). Reefs, obviously, do require buffer to be added.

I just remember someone who had all fake stuff in his tank and he couldn't keep his pH above 8.0 for more than 3 days after a water change. It gets expensive adding buffer everyday.. I'm so glad LR is readily available now, it's made such a big difference to this hobby.

Oops.. sorry to hijack your thread, Mark!

I'm so glad LR is readily available now, it's made such a big difference to this hobby.

No argument from me here. Its great!

FWIW, I agree that it is best to have a CaCO3 based system. All I was saying is that I have seen it done without. Obviously with success (as I have mentioned) and failures (as you have mentioned).

Is it a solid chunk of stone or is it porous?

No holes? Based on this topic so far I guess it doesn't seem worth the risk.. why didn't you ask them if it was reef rock? :p

Back
Top Bottom