stoopid no good crabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lukasnca

Aquarium Advice Regular
i just noticed two crabs that i didn't know that i had. one is living in a sponge infested rock under my rbta. the other one is living between some big rocks.

the one under rbta looks like it has whitish legs with maybe light brown strips. the other one is red. both have been illusive so i can't even take a picture ... i've been trying for the past two hours. they're not hermits i know that much :) but any ideas as to what they could be? (i know ... its a shot in the dark)

any good tips on how to catch these guys? i set up some white pvc that's closed off at one end has a small hole at the other with some food in the bottom. i put it right beside where i saw them so i'm hoping that that will do the trick. i'm hoping that they think its another rock to climb into (but kind of doubting that it will work)

one the [annoying as always] cleaner shrimps leave the traps alone i hope that the crabs ... umm ... take the bait :)

The first one sounds like a Porcelain crab. Pretty cool if it is.

CRABS EVIL :evil: :evil: :evil:
I got a few more that just emerged from who knows where that are stripping my rock ! They must GO !

My live rock has about 5 small and illusive ones that are light brown with dark brown claws, and they are sorta fuzzy.
Any idea as to what type they may be?

Hara,
I have a crab looking for a new home. He's a snail eater and has been living alone for a while now. I've been giving him pieces of frozen shrimp and he seems to be doing fine on that. I'd love to find him a new home. Let me know and I'll ship him out to you.

the fuzzy crab sounds like a hitchiker crab... does it look like the crab in the pic above? if so, its bad news. I got mine out by picking out the rock that I knew the crab was in and moving it to the QT. It ticked the crab off so bad that he was out of the rock before I even made it to the QT. He's still living there..

I have a 100 gallon sump with 200 pounds of rock in it, I think he can find a place to suit him :)

Just send me a private message when you are ready!

My hitchikers are a bit darker in brown color and their legs are more on the sides of their body than so far back.
But, very similar.
Mine stay on the rock they came in. They come out of the holes for a food pellet, but otherwise they hide all day.

What's so bad about them? (at their current little mini size, and when bigger)
Anyone know what the name of the crab is? (both in that pic and what mine may be)

I found a pic of the crab I posted on wetwebmedia and it was listed as a predatory xanthid crab. This crab has been with me for a while and I was happy to let him alone. I used to watch him push his claws down in the sand and come up with nothing. I figured he was fishing but didn't know what for. I finally caught him pulling out a nassarius snail and eat it. He's cool and I'm glad someone can take him but he's got expensive taste.

yeah, I spent $100.00 on snails and within a month they were all eaten.. by my hitchiker. Get them out if you can...

yeah, I spent $100.00 on snails and within a month they were all eaten.. by my hitchiker. Get them out if you can...

Wetwebmedia’s pics confirm mine as Xanthid’s.
There are all about the size of a nickel, so if I can get them all out over the next month, I think my fish will be okay.
I guess I’ll try the drinking glass with bait at the bottom trick.

Now only if I knew how many are there. Could be 3…could be 7. 8O

Back
Top Bottom