Stopping coralline algae!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zack

Aquarium Advice Freak
Anyway that is healthy, taking over my tank, I have a hammerhead magnet and use kent scraper and it always is coming back EVERYWHERE! Anyway to stop it?? :?: :?: :?:

Considering your such an industrious fellow, why not profit from it instead of getting rid of it.

Garf sells their stuff, why can't you sell yours or offer it in trade?

Cheers
Steve

how would i do that scrape it and bag it????

BTW thanks for the kind words :lol: Got to support myself somehow :p

Yep scrape and bag.

I know of no way to stop it, the conditions that are good for coraline are also the conditions that are optimal for your corals, you can't alter those conditions to get rid of the coraline, without endangering your corals and clams.

I know a lot of people do, but get this, i forgot to tell my tank watcher to run the maget while i was gone , so i come back a month later, All 4 walls are covered in it, still scraping 8 days later 8O

EMS503 said:
I really wish I had your problem :D

Also i see a clam as your avator, what do you keep your calicum at, i would think with cal and good lighting you would have my problem :lol:

My Calcium runs 490 - 500 (constant) , Alk. 9.0 Lighting is 2 - 65 watt smartlight pc's & 2- 175 MH. Actually I just restarted my tank 5 months ago, the old one sprung a leak around Christmas. I am starting to get green coraline algae on the glass my PH and rock are pink , purple coraline in this tank. My 30 is loaded with Green & Pink coraline algae. 2 Maxima's, 1 Crocea ( my avator ) & 1 Blue rim Deresa.

Your CA and ALK are out of balance.

For a balanced ALK with a CA of 490 it would need to be 18.2 DKH, CA of 500 the ALK would need to be 19.59 DKH. That said, if you raise the ALK to bring in a balance, your very likely to have a precipitation event (aka snowstorm). I would look at your salt mix and make sure it is in balance and do water changes to bring it in balance, then dose with a balanced solution like kalk, B-ionic or a CA reactor.

You should also test your magnesium, prior to doing anything, mag is very important in maintaining a proper balance of CA and ALK. Once your CA (400-440) and ALK (6.0 - 11.2 DKH respectively) are in balance, with a mag of 1300 - 1500 ppm, you'll likely see the coraline take off ;)

EMS503
I now see about the tank. My 50 is an all clam tank so keeping the calium and such in check with good levels and my 400 watt mh are defentae contribaters to the algae growth.

Kevin I already use B-Ionic Calc. & Alk to keep the tank set. I also test for Magnesium last test was 1395. Besides the B-Ionic my R/O top off water has Araga-Might powder mixed in. Which I am sure has alot to do with my calcium being so high constantly along with the fact until recently I just started keeping clams in the tank but really had nothing else to use up the calcium. To combat this unevenness I have talked with Barry of Clams Direct and a Tech. from ESV which makes B-Ionic and have begun small weekly water changes and reduced the top off water to every other top off using Araga-Might. This should bring my levels back into balance and not have the precipitation of calcium. My alk. use to be very high and things I used to balance went to far to the low side. Hopefully this will correct this problem. I do appreciate your concern if it was not for people such as you there would be alot more problems.
Also thanks for the site this will help.

Back
Top Bottom