Storing saltwater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dary421

Aquarium Advice Addict
I think this has been addressed somewhat before but anyways,.....I usually have a reserve of RODI water that have previously made up that I use for my weekly water change ,.... Every week I take out the ol' bag of salt ,a powerhead , the heater and my trusty rubbermaid trash can and make my self up 15 gallons of saltwater for my pwc ,,..... I think that storing natural seawater or " used" saltwater from a tank would not work because of debris and organisms etc that'll ferment and decay,..but I'm assuming that storing a freshly. Mixed up batch of seawater using RODI water from a bag of salt would pretty much be inert and storing some for next weeks pwc shouldn't be an issue.... I realize that ill have to be heated again and checked for evaporation etc,...but is there any issues with doing this that I'm missing???? It seems that making one big batch would be easier that making up a bunch of little batches,... Thanks,Dary

I know people that store saltwater for the month. I believe if you keep it moving it is fine. I dont know how long but my lfs makes 2 thousand gallons for the month. Then they sell it and make more for next month. I think most people dont do it because of space. But if you have the space, go for it.

I see no issues with storing RO/DI saltwater except maybe keep the mix stirred a little with a small PH.

That is a very good question above how long can it be kept for because I too am getting tired of mixing every week small batches... How about with a big power head like a (2-Koralia hydors - 1400) would that be to much circulation?

It depends on the size of your container, The only other issue is algae growth if it gets any light.

I am not sure how Dary will be storing his but mine will be stored in a Rubbermaid trashcan (Brute Series) no light only the Power Heads and maybe a heater.

First, why are you doing weekly pwc's? I do mine once every 2 weeks and don't have any troubles.

Second, If you store it for a long time, check it the night before to make sure it has not evaporated too much. Causing higher salinity. Other than that, you shouldn't have any problems. Like TC said no light.

If in a trashcan, use a larger powerhead connected to a coiled up vinyl tube long enuf when uncoiled to reach over the tank to fill it.

That is what I have been reading to do small weekly waterchanges and if I don't a couple of my corals tell me that it is time for their water change. They start looking a little on the limp side...
The storing time would not be for very long because I would be taking out and putting fresh back into the container as I take out.
I don't know if I could do the coiled up vinly tube how long are they and where do you get them from? I did see a water hose that was coiled up at Walmart in the garden section but I am not sure if it is long enough are if it is the same thing....

mwilliams said:
I am not sure how Dary will be storing his but mine will be stored in a Rubbermaid trashcan (Brute Series) no light only the Power Heads and maybe a heater.

Rest assured , Dary will be storing his water in his trusty ol'rubbermaid trashcan with a lid and a small powerhead,.....I'll worry about warming the 15 gallons i need for the pwc the day or two before ,..... I was just thinking that it might be easier to make up a bigger batch all at once,...also it'll be nice to have some premixed stuff on hand just in case it's needed quickly.

Those good ol Rubbermaid trashcans...LOL.... Sorry about that Dary I was not sure how you would be storing yours....I agree with you a bigger batch would be a lot easier.... I am glad you got this forum going...

kdogg85 said:
First, why are you doing weekly pwc's? I do mine once every 2 weeks and don't have any troubles.

.....I'm sure that doing your pwc every couple of weeks is and would be just fine,.... I've just got in the habit of doing a smaller amount every week,...kinda gives me something to do on my days off.....and if I have to miss a week for one reason or another I don't think I'll worry too much about it.

I keep 20g of saltwater in a tub (covered) in the garage with a Maxijet 600 and a heater (set to 78F) going 24/7. About once every 6 months, I totally drain out the tub and clean out the "sludge" that has precipitated out or not dissolved. So in theory... some of that water I'm using is 6 months old. Never any problems with evaporation. Been doing it this way for 4+ years with no issues.

Kurt_Nelson said:
I keep 20g of saltwater in a tub (covered) in the garage with a Maxijet 600 and a heater (set to 78F) going 24/7. About once every 6 months, I totally drain out the tub and clean out the "sludge" that has precipitated out or not dissolved. So in theory... some of that water I'm using is 6 months old. Never any problems with evaporation. Been doing it this way for 4+ years with no issues.

Thanks Kurt,...that's what I wanted to hear....I will proceed accordingly

Back
Top Bottom