Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-22-2010, 05:29 PM   #1
is back to save the day!

Storing sand

Well, i won't be starting my nano for about another 2 weeks, but i really just want to clean my dry aragonite right now so i dont have to do it later, and i can just let it dry out so i can use it like dry sand by the time im setting up my tank.

Can i keep the dry aragonite stored in a bucket after its cleaned until i need to use it? Without having to clean it again? Also, will storing pre-rinsed sand ruin the sand as far as its chemical compounds go?

Old 02-22-2010, 05:40 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I see no problem keeping it dry, but I'd wonder if it is possible to get it dry once rinsed. Having damp sand sit for two weeks doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy at all. I can only think of it still as stagnant water. I'd just wait to rinse it when you're about to use it. That's if you can wait - -I know, it gets exciting at this stage.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:44 PM   #3
is back to save the day!

Hmm, i see what you mean. I agree with your thought, so im glad i didnt rinse any just yet. Btw, do you think a 30lb bag is sufficient for a 10G? I plan on only having a 1-2" deep sandbed. Nothing fancy. Just for show basically
Old 02-22-2010, 05:52 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Try this sand bed calculator form that "other" site. Gonna need your tank dimensions and plug'm in.

Sand Bed

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Old 02-22-2010, 05:56 PM   #5
is back to save the day!

Nice. Thanks for that calc. I only want a max of 2" and for 2" i need 21lbs of sand. I have 30, so i think im set. I guess ill just keep it in the bag until its time to use it. I just hate having to scape with wet sand. Its annoying.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:04 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Your scaping will be most likely done better with water, rocks, and sand in the tank anyway. So it will be wet sand.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:52 PM   #7
is back to save the day!

I hate scaping with water in there lol. I like setting everything up, then putting in the rocks. But i guess i can try something different since the rocks i got are now base, and completely cleaned. I went ballistic today and straight up cleaned ALL 80lbs of my rock that i had stored in a big container in my basement. I'm not going to be using all 80lbs for a 10G of course.. but i'm selling the rest for a little extra cash. I selected the best pieces(and smallest) to go in the 10G and all the rocks are lookin sweet!
Old 02-22-2010, 10:42 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Depends on the rock you're using I guess. Either I was keeping live rock live or changing something around anyway....underwater.

Tags
sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com