Storing sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zer0

is back to save the day!
Well, i won't be starting my nano for about another 2 weeks, but i really just want to clean my dry aragonite right now so i dont have to do it later, and i can just let it dry out so i can use it like dry sand by the time im setting up my tank.

Can i keep the dry aragonite stored in a bucket after its cleaned until i need to use it? Without having to clean it again? Also, will storing pre-rinsed sand ruin the sand as far as its chemical compounds go?

I see no problem keeping it dry, but I'd wonder if it is possible to get it dry once rinsed. Having damp sand sit for two weeks doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy at all. I can only think of it still as stagnant water. I'd just wait to rinse it when you're about to use it. That's if you can wait - -I know, it gets exciting at this stage. :)

Hmm, i see what you mean. I agree with your thought, so im glad i didnt rinse any just yet. Btw, do you think a 30lb bag is sufficient for a 10G? I plan on only having a 1-2" deep sandbed. Nothing fancy. Just for show basically

Nice. Thanks for that calc. I only want a max of 2" and for 2" i need 21lbs of sand. I have 30, so i think im set. I guess ill just keep it in the bag until its time to use it. I just hate having to scape with wet sand. Its annoying.

I hate scaping with water in there lol. I like setting everything up, then putting in the rocks. But i guess i can try something different since the rocks i got are now base, and completely cleaned. I went ballistic today and straight up cleaned ALL 80lbs of my rock that i had stored in a big container in my basement. I'm not going to be using all 80lbs for a 10G of course.. but i'm selling the rest for a little extra cash. I selected the best pieces(and smallest) to go in the 10G and all the rocks are lookin sweet!

Depends on the rock you're using I guess. Either I was keeping live rock live or changing something around anyway....underwater.

Back
Top Bottom