strange algae..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stryder

Aquarium Advice Regular
I asked this a while ago but I can't find the postings, and things have changed a little anyway. I have a whispy red algae growing on some of my live rocks and I think that it is a bacteria. Are there any products to clear it that anyone knows about? also I have a weird build up of air bubbles on other LR's they are not bubble algae I don't think because they are clear not green. they seem to clear up at night and populate during the day. Any thoughts??

Thanks!

they seem to clear up at night and populate during the day. Any thoughts??

The algae is producing oxygen during the day when the lights are on, during the night they are not and the bubbles have a chance to dissipate.

The best way to deal with cyanobacteria, is to have good waterflow, use RO/DI water for top offs and waterchanges. Siphon it out when doing waterchanges. Make sure you have good waterflow through out the tank and good lighting with plenty of actinic spectrum. If you use a skimmer make sure it is running efficiently, if you don't use one...you may want to increase the water changes for nutrient removal.

Back
Top Bottom