Strange Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brodie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I noticed some type of algae growing all over the very top, and back of my tank. It looks like a miniature fern leaf & about 1" long. Does anyone have any information about this algae? Should I be concerned? I have 4 Chromis and 1 Clown, they haven't touched the stuff. Would it be a good idea to pick up a Lawnmower Blenny?

I just picked out a leaf of that recenty, don't know what it is though. I assumed that since I'm having an algae problem, best to get rid of it.

Experts?

Most likely fern caulerpa, a macroalgae. The stuff is great for exporting nutrients (phosphate, nitrate) however it can being a pest algae because if left unpruned it can take over the entire tank (suffocating out corals and other invertebrates).

Tangs will definitely eat it. However, I'm not sure about a lawnmower blenny. HTH

That's exactly what it is. I just did a google search and found it. The consensus is to get it out? I have a 29 gal, so I don't think a Tang would be appropriate. Anyone have any luck with Blennies eating the stuff? Kudos Zooz...

Oh yeah, I've got that stuff. I can tell you it grows and spreads pretty quick. I know Astrea snails don't eat it. Best thing I've found so far is just reaching in and pulling it out when I see it. Still waiting to see if my new Tang eats it.

I had some, then I added emerald crabs and it vanished. I watched my largest one rip it off a the lr one day. Kind of amusing. No problems since.

Back
Top Bottom