Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-02-2005, 01:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Strange Algae Behavior

I have a 20 gal tank with a canister filter and an aquac protein skimmer. I'm very pleased with the skimmer because it has greatly decreased the effort i have to put into my tank. The only thing I have a question about is some algae growth. My skimmer is situated on the right half of my tank. The only algae the grows in my tank is on the right side under my skimmer. The entire left side of my tank is algae free. Does algae like high circulation or is there another reason for this?

Thanks

Old 05-02-2005, 10:58 PM   #2
Smo
Aquarium Advice Regular

Could be a number of things:
Algae doesn't like high flow areas.
Is there sunlight hitting that side of the tank vs the non-algae side?
Is there a different colored light (spectrum wise) over that area of the tank where the algae grows?
Are your bulbs getting old?

Some of these things could help algae to grow in certain areas and not in others.

29gal BB | 42+ lbs LR | 143watts PC | Asst. Leathers, Frogspawn, Hammer, XLG Open Brain, Zoanthids, Mushrooms, Diploastrea heliopora | Blue Mandarin | Atrosalarias Fuscus | Pair Captive Bred Ocellaris Clowns | Peppermint Shrimp | 6 Astrea's |
Smo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 09:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

now that i think about it the lights are off-set. One side probably gets more 20000 K than the other. I have 24" Coralife aqualights with actinic and 20000 K. What is the best way to fix this?
Old 05-04-2005, 11:43 PM   #4
Smo
Aquarium Advice Regular

Can you move some of the LR around so more of the surface of your LR gets light?
BTW, when I meant the statement about color spectrum, if you have any lights below 6k, those will help to promote algae growth. Your 20k are just fine.

Which AquaC skimmer do you have?
Is it producing daily skimmate? You should get a little every day.
What color is the skimmate? If it is dark, like espresso, then you need to run the skimmer a little wetter. You want something that looks like a glass of green tea at your local Chinese Restaurant.

Just curious, but how did you get a 20k PC?
29gal BB | 42+ lbs LR | 143watts PC | Asst. Leathers, Frogspawn, Hammer, XLG Open Brain, Zoanthids, Mushrooms, Diploastrea heliopora | Blue Mandarin | Atrosalarias Fuscus | Pair Captive Bred Ocellaris Clowns | Peppermint Shrimp | 6 Astrea's |
Smo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 11:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

it's a HOB aquac remora 1200. I'm pretty sure the skimmate is ok. It's producing every day and it does look about like tea.

I'm not sure it's 20 K it's probably 10 K or whatever is stock. the tank isn't handy. I'm at college and my tank is at home 5 hours away. My dad takes care of it most of the time.

I'm sure the reason for the algae is the off-set lights but I don't know of any way to fix it.

Tags
algae, behavior, strange

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com