strange darkcolored slime???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mellowtico

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I havea strange dark colored dust that settles on my rocks and seems to manage to settle into the deepest crevases everytime. I scrub the live rock every once in a while to get it off. I'm not sure if it is a slime algae or someone suggested diatoms. I removed my zooanthids to a friend's tank and am planning on putting in a product that claims to kill all algae. I also have a cleaner shrimp, 4 emerald crabs, and over 70 snails that keep on laying eggs. any advice on how expel this nuisance.
p.s. i have a 150 g with dual 400 w 14k metal halides

WELCOME TO AA!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

What are you water parameters? Ammonia? NitrAte? NitrIte? Phosphates? PH SG????

We need a little more info to help you out. How long has this tank been up and running? Can you get us a pic of the algae? How old are the MH bulbs?

Any chance you can get a pic? Personally, I wouldn't add something that claims to kill all algaes. There are plenty of good algaes and the bad ones can be removed, if done properly.

Welcom to AA, BTW!

I agree that I`m not to fond of chems to remove algea. If proper husbandry is done you can knock it out. If it is dusty then I suggest it is diatoms.I am always wiping it off the inside glass of my tank.

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
It could be a lot of things. All good advice has been given. A pic would sure help as well as age of the tank, cycling method and current water parameters. Just to echo what everyone esle said, avoid, at all costs, those tank treatments that claim to kill agale. They work to remove the existing algae from the tank but will do nothing to keep it coming back. You need to, first, ID the sunstance and, second, find/correct the source to keep it from returning.

Welcome to AA
In addition to the info Ziggy asked for, what is the temp of your tank(during lights on and at night)? What is your water source for the tank- tap, RO, RO/DI?
NO3 and/or PO4 are usually the main culprits behind nuisance alga outbreaks.

Back
Top Bottom