Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-23-2009, 04:03 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Strange hermit crab behavior

I've got this one crazy hermit..about a month ago, I found him lodged in between the branches of my candy cane coral. I was like, beh, he must be stuck, so I had to pull out the coral and dislodge him.
Hours later, I found that he climbed up and lodged himself in the same spot. I left him alone...2 weeks have passed..He hadn't moved so I pulled the coral out and dislodged him again--this time putting him as far away from the coral as possible. The next day I found him in the same position..he has been there a week..tonight I had to remove him from the coral yet again, and about an hour later...he was right back up there.
What gives? All of my other herms crawl around all day on rocks, and he climbs up a a branch and gets lodged in between the polyps. I did notice tonight that theres a white clump that looks like eggs on a branch of my candy cane. Is this what my crab has been up to?

Old 01-23-2009, 07:40 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

You might want to check your coral for flatworms or other nuisance predator/parasites. It just so happens this behavior was noted, much the same way, on a colony of acropora and montipora consuming nudibranchs. Don't take the coral out of the water so you don't dislodge anything just in case, but could very well just be a persistent crab too XD

Old 01-24-2009, 03:16 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have a couple red legs that live in some SPS coral. They come out on their own and given that naturally they are not keen on lots of light, he probably goes hunting while your fast asleep and appears to be back in the same spot the next day. Its pretty normal from my expereince. Much like a clown fish will sometimes take an anemone for protection, so crabs seem to hide among the corals they feel safe in.

Happy Reefing!
Old 01-24-2009, 05:53 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I was concerned because some of the polyps have been looking irritated and not opening where the crab lodged himself. I had enough tonight and I scraped off what looked like egg sacs on the branches of the coral..my hermit hasn't come back.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:47 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

If you scraped what look to be egg sacs, you may want to inspect your corals in greater detail for predators and note that qt may be in your future depending on the outcome.

Tags
behavior, crab, hermit, hermit crab, strange

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com