Strange Murky Water!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AGBM5519

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
For the past day and a half our tank has been pretty murky, tried a couple different things and so far no luck clearing it out. The only thing we changed before it occurred was adding an anemone that had it's own rock when we bought it :ermm: . Doesn't seem like that could cause the problem.
The tank is still visible and isn't horrible but not sure what to do to make it clear up :( .
Any suggestions?!

What are your water perameters like? How old is the tank. What kind of lighting do you have?

The tank is 36 gallons. it's 30x20x11 inches. The lighting is a t5, four bulbs two white, two blue, with LED night lighting.

Attachments

• IMAG5684.jpg
    IMAG5684.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 70
How old is the tank? What kind of filtration are you using? As already asked, post your parameters and we might be able to help you...

The tank is 30x20x11 , It has two filters running on it right now one is a typical filter that it came with, the other is a carbon filter that can handle up to a 55 gal. It also has a powerhead, I don't know the actual filter names. The tank is 6 months old or so.
We've never had any water problems, all our "spikes" in levels outside of normal cycles were due to moving all the live rock and mixing up the sand when we had to get rid of the mean yellow and black chromis we had, they beat up the rest of the fish and killed our cleaner shrimp :huh: .

The only adjustment we've made since having stable water is the new anemone, which like I said came with a rock, the rock had much life on it and that's about it.
It had a rose BTA, yellow polyps, feather dusters, bristle worms, and so far thats all we've seen. It had aiptasia but we caught it before we took the live rock home and it was removed.

So they are like HOB filters? How often do you clean them? How much do you feed and how often? What kind of water do you use? How long do your lights stay on each day? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to figure it out!

Yes. We got a goby so we clean them once or twice a week depending on how active he is but the water isn't sandy like it would do normally it's different, sounds weird but watching the tank we can tell the difference plus it clears up quickly. Once maybe twice a day and no more than they can eat, it usually doesn't hit the sand and if it does the shrimp goes for it and the goby. We use purified water and put salt in it, the salinity is fine as well. 10-12 hours.
I think that covers everything.
No problem, thanks for the help.

That sounds like a lot of food! I only feed my (7) fish one cube of frozen food every two days. To quote Mr X just because they eat it doesn't mean it's gone! Do you do water changes? How much how often? You could also reduce your lighting schedule to 8hours that will help long term anyway. Ro-di water is best for salt water, that will also help. Do you test your own water? What are your readings?

I would recommend a uv sterilizer, I will kill all the free floating algae spores in the water column.

Back
Top Bottom