Strange Problem.....New fish always die but inverts do fine.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arminkropp

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,
Wondering if I can get some guidance. For some reason I can seem to keep fish alive in my tank no matter what, yet inverts like featherdusters, blue leg crabs, astrea snails, copepods and amphipods all do good.

Tank was cycled and has been up for a couple months.

I thought perhaps the oxygen level is low but how do I test for this?

I've tested Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates, pH, SG and everything checks out good. Running some carbon, Purigen and PhosGuard, so that should eliminate silicates and phosphates.

My tank is a 75 Gal and I have 100lbs of live rock (nicely cured, covered in coralline) Filter is a fluval C4 (running media) Remora skimmer and 2 850GPH Aqueon powerheads. Lighting is a quad T5 fixture.

Appreciate any help!
TIA

When you say good, what do you mean exactly? What are the numbers?
What fish have you been adding and how do you acclimate them?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

When you say good, what do you mean exactly? What are the numbers?
What fish have you been adding and how do you acclimate them?

Ammonia, Nitrates and Nitrites are at 0. pH is at 8.4 and sg is at 1.022-1.023. Water changes every week. Have my own RO/DI unit and TDS is at 0.

Everything is drip acclimated (3-4 drops per second) and have bought fish from separate stores.

I've tried 3 fish. Yellow tail damsel, Purple dottyback and a Orange marked goby. Dottyback lived the longest, about 3 weeks.

Your parameters are ideal, you acclimate well and you seem to be doing everything spot on. I assume there is no obvious signs of illness?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Your parameters are ideal, you acclimate well and you seem to be doing everything spot on. I assume there is no obvious signs of illness?

They look good. I'm picky when I choose my fish.

I did however just check voltage in my tank.......52 volts. I guess I figured it out. Heater is 22v, Filter is 10v and Powerheads are 29v (3 powerheads)

Ughhh

Back
Top Bottom