Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-14-2004, 03:49 PM   #1

Strangest Thing?

Just the other day I was at my LFS and I saw the strangest thing.. They were selling bristle worms.. I was actually thinking of buying some.. Would it be a good investment to do so since i just changed my cc to a DSB?
Old 02-14-2004, 04:01 PM   #2
steve-s

If the tank was "sterile" from lack of added sources such as LR it might be an idea but if you have LR, the fauna from there will quite quickly colonize the new sand. If that's the case, it would be a waste of money. Bristleworms are actually quite prolific...

Cheers
Steve
Old 02-14-2004, 04:04 PM   #3

Only problem is..I haven't really seen any bristle worms in my tank...I've seen maybe 2 in the past few months and that was because for some odd reason my coral banded has aquired a taste for them...
Old 02-14-2004, 04:13 PM   #4
steve-s

Quite natural for the CBS, they eat a wide variety of critters but I doubt it will be able to deplete them

To quote fishfreek, "if you've seen one, you most likely have hundreds". Even with the bristle worms you will find they are much more active at night that during daylight hours. How much rock is in the 55?

Cheers
Steve
Old 02-14-2004, 04:18 PM   #5

I would say i have roughly 50lbs of LR in there now..I keep adding pieces as i come acrossed some that look decent...there's like at least 6 LFS within a 20min. radius of my home.
Old 02-14-2004, 04:27 PM   #6
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotz_potential
I would say i have roughly 50lbs of LR in there now.
Quite honestly I wouldn't be concerned then. I would be fairly confidant you have a good population, they're just not readily visible.

Cheers
Steve
Old 02-14-2004, 04:29 PM   #7

Thanks for all you help Steve...Its greatly appreciated.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com