Stray Voltage: Fact, or Myth? You Decide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have first hand experience with two Pacific Blue tangs, one with severe HLLE and the other with a relatively minor case that only got better after a grounding probe was installed. These fish were in separate tanks at separate locations. No other environmental changes were made, no dietary changes were made.

There was nothing scientific about it and I cant write a thesis on it, but I what I know in these two situations is that no probe = HLLE, probe = no HLLE.

I have about 20 years background in electronics so I know what the article is saying, but my thought is the electricity that is the cause of the HLLE, not the current. I’m not a biologist, but I’m pretty sure fish use electricity in ways that mammals don’t.

JMO

I guess installing a grounding probe doesn't hurt one way or another anyway. Is that something relatively easy to do? The reason I have been researching this article is because my Yellow Tang looks to have HLLE. After a few water changes, and enriching foods with Selcon and Garlic, it does look better, but maybe this is a temporary fix? Thanks for your feedback.

Mike

Yes a grounding probe is just about the most simple install you could have.

All the grounding probe is, is a non coroding metal rod. Alot of them are titanimum. This is attached to a wire above the waters surface. The wire then runs down to your grounded outlet. The comercial probes will have a plug like an electrical plug but the to prongs will be plastic and the grounding wire will be connected to the third grounding prong. Some will have a little eyelet you screw on your faceplate that connects to the outlet in the wall and that also forms a ground.

Increasing the nutrional value of the fish's diet can also help slow, reverse the HLLE.

Very nice. I am not too keen on electrical stuff, but where do I get one, and how much is it? It's called a grounding probe, correct? Thanks for the great info Nitrate..

Mike

fishfreek said:
Yes a grounding probe is just about the most simple install you could have.

All the grounding probe is, is a non coroding metal rod. Alot of them are titanimum. This is attached to a wire above the waters surface. The wire then runs down to your grounded outlet. The comercial probes will have a plug like an electrical plug but the to prongs will be plastic and the grounding wire will be connected to the third grounding prong. Some will have a little eyelet you screw on your faceplate that connects to the outlet in the wall and that also forms a ground.

Increasing the nutrional value of the fish's diet can also help slow, reverse the HLLE.
Stupid question. Does the probe need to reach the sand at the bottom of the tank?

I'm working on getting a 50g FOWLR started. It's going into my home office where I also have my Ham Radio station (W3UTD). I hope my transmitting at 100 to 200 watts isn't going to freak out the fish. I don't think I have stray RF in the room, but who knows? :|

Turn the lights off in the room and sit a small fluorencent bulb next to the transmitter. If the bulb glows in the dark then you have stray RF. Or you can probably pick up a cheap field strength meter at radio shack.

Back
Top Bottom