Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-24-2012, 12:32 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocky puck

Just a wild guess but a lot of stuff will have a voltage.... By anychance do u have a cut or a opening on area around nail cause that can feel like that with saltwater and volts are not dangerous it's amps u must watch for
Actually current is what can kill. You can have amps and volts but without current your out of the danger zone. It's a misconception a lot of times.

You are right though that volts aren't issues amps are BUT you still current to deliver those amps. Trust me. I just wired a a street light today right near a 14Kv line and a house service of 400!

Man was my hair standing on edge. No current so no issues. Plus I have to wear all my hot fancy gear to protect me up to a certain amount of volts.

But it was fun.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yea I tried going for that I hear the thick leather glover u still feel the current

Old 09-24-2012, 01:02 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Have you checked the ground in the wall. They make some cheep testers that plug into your outlet, and let you know if there is a problem. A bad ground could add to the problem.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:40 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

So I'm definitely going to get a ground probe because *i* don't want to be the ground probe should something serious happen.

I guess testing with the voltage meter before i stick my hands in the water would be a good new idea to add to my regimen lol.

Will the grounding probe help with coral health?

I'm going to try to figure out the problem as much as possible.
scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:43 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here's the link with some great info on this subject.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1982006

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:52 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks. I just read that and understood it pretty good. There's no current in my tank, just potential for current (stray voltage). A grounding probe would create a path for current and electrify my fish and corals. On the other hand, if something is out of whack, I become the grounding probe.

So, what to do about this stray voltage? Is it harming anything? My Anthelias seems to be melting lately.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:50 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

So I've googled and I can't find anything really that says stray voltage in the aquarium is bad for corals?
Old 09-24-2012, 11:06 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you want to narrow down what is causing the most voltage, unplug each thing one at a time and then test. I've been looking at the MP 10 because of the electrical being outside the tank. Now, here is my question, if all of your equipment is in your sump, does electricity still travel back into your tank or does it lose or lower some as it goes? I'm not sure if I asked that right! LOL! I guess what I'm saying is that in the ocean it would dissipate at some point..
Old 09-24-2012, 11:10 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki_kaiser
If you want to narrow down what is causing the most voltage, unplug each thing one at a time and then test. I've been looking at the MP 10 because of the electrical being outside the tank. Now, here is my question, if all of your equipment is in your sump, does electricity still travel back into your tank or does it lose or lower some as it goes? I'm not sure if I asked that right! LOL! I guess what I'm saying is that in the ocean it would dissipate at some point..
Ok...guess I should of read the link posted because it said to unplug one at a time as well...sorry!
Old 09-24-2012, 11:27 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161
I'd say the heater in this case. I'm not an expert but I've worked under an electrician for years. IMHO I'd get a new heater or at least try a different heater and see if the numbers go down.

Saltwater is the biggest conductor of electricity so... Adding all the equipment that we add into salt is always gonna create some leaking. Some more serious then others.

Also the higher the salinity the greater the conduction.

I hope this makes sense. If you need me to I'll try and explain it better.
What are normal levels for a saltwater tank?

Tags
aquarium, level, salt, saltwater, saltwater aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com