stray voltage levels in saltwater aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nikki_kaiser said:
What are normal levels for a saltwater tank?

Hi Nikki!

My guess would be 0. You wouldn't want any stray voltage in your tank. I don't know the threshold corals or fish can take.

Sorry I don't have a better answer, I'd assume its like us though. The less the better. Nobody wants to get shocked.

I did unplug one at a time and reported the results (page 1 :p). I don't know what normal voltage levels are. It will go from your sump back up to your main tank because saltwater is naturally conductive.

I get the same reading in my sump as in my DT.

Alright so here's my rundown only plugging in 1 thing at a time.

Everything off - 1.63 (how?)
Power strip 1 plugged in - 1.80
Power strip 1 and two plugged in - 1.96
Return pump 3.74
cooling fan 2.55
50 watt heater 6.45
skimmer pump 6.95
koralia 240 - 4.62
koralia 750 1 - 3.45
koralia 750 2 - 4.32
reactor pump - 4.83
100 watt heater - 9.62 (yipes!)
moonlights 1.41
fuge light 1.51
lights plugged in, off - 1.23
lights plugged in, blues on - 2.23
lights plugged in, whites on - 2.07
lights plugged in, whites & blues on - 3.10
Everything on 25.30

With my 100 watt heater unplugged the sump drops from like 25 to 6.. but the DT goes from about 30 to 20.

Obviously I improved it a little bit, but what can I do in general to get this down? I can't replace everything.

Just looking for some general help in the right direction.

scottayy said:
I would find it hard to believe that any tank is at 0.

Ideally yes you would want 0 just like yourself would want 0. Does it happen? I'm not sure. I don't feel anything when tinkering with my bio cube. At work I don't feel anything. Am I getting hit my stray current? Maybe, it may be too small to notice.

But yes you would want zero current in the tank.

I'll check my tank tonight with my meter and see what I get, you have peaked my interest.

I'll be back lol.

you may want to look outside the tank, could be the electrical outlet being used is not well grounded, my house was originally built in 1860, and supposedly updated before we purchased it, but when doing some work I found that the brand new wiring that was attached to the outlet only went two feet into the wall where it was spliced to the old ungrounded, tar covered wires used in the 30's or 40's so maybe start at the breaker box and work your way to the tank checking all the connections along the way

Honestly I don't think it's possible to get 0 Scotty did you pull the power heads etc out of the tank? Because most things plugged in but turned off still retain voltage. If you hold one end of probes in each hand you should still get a voltage. There isn't much in the natural would that doesn't carry a current. Atleast I believe if memory serves

Hocky puck said:
Honestly I don't think it's possible to get 0 Scotty did you pull the power heads etc out of the tank? Because most things plugged in but turned off still retain voltage. If you hold one end of probes in each hand you should still get a voltage. There isn't much in the natural would that doesn't carry a current. Atleast I believe if memory serves

Actually your correct. There is current no matter what, holding one end of the meter and sticking in the tank your gonna get a reading. And like you said holding both ends your gonna get a reading. Current is everywhere.

Look at pools for example, they need to be "bonded" so the current is equal, if not then current will be different in different areas of the pool. You can't bond a fish tank and with saltwater being a conductor, I'd look at the outlet like the other poster suggested. Maybe the plug isn't grounded correctly?

All equipment will conduct some form of electrons and submersing them into the water will only add to it.

Your body is a conductor also.

scottayy said:
I did unplug one at a time and reported the results (page 1 :p). I don't know what normal voltage levels are. It will go from your sump back up to your main tank because saltwater is naturally conductive.

I get the same reading in my sump as in my DT.

I saw that after and I'm sorry about that! Was on my cell. :(. So I was reading last night and apparently there is some debate as to what higher levels of voltage can do to corals. Common sense would tell me that if it can cause your fish to act strange or kill them then it would most definitely affect your corals at higher levels. Here is what one guy said are some symptoms of voltage being to high. Take into account that all other things were within good parameters for his tank and he had no issues except the high voltage.

Extensive loss of zooxanthellae in SPS and LPS coral
Tissue recession and polyp bail-out in SPS coral
Shriveled up and discolored soft coral
Complete "melt down" of soft coral
Leather coral shed excessively and will not extend their polyps

Since I don't have corals yet I can't really say if its BS or not. Just thought I would post it! :)

I think I'll try replacing the power strips and cleaning up my wiring. How do I check an outlet is well grounded (besides tracing it from the breaker box)?

And yeah the reason I checked is because lately my anthelias is melting and my duncans haven't opened in forever.

Pick up one of these at any home improvement store.... usually around $5. They have 3 lights that illuminate in different patterns for various indications..... VERY handy thing to have around.

ELECTRICAL RECEPTACLE TESTER AC OUTLET PLUG 3 PRONG GND - Amazon.com

I grabbed one when I bought my house, and found a bunch of open grounds in the basement sockets from the "handyman" who lived here prior..... You should've seen some of his plumbing work :nono:

I agree with the open grounds. Always use circuits with GFI breakers around saltwater. They have saved my life a few times over the years,
Even the tiniest of moisture leaks with saltwater on a cord or a power head motor can leak dangerous amounts of current into the water. If you can stand on the concrete floor in bare wet feet and touch the tank water, if there is any tingle at all, it is too much. Remember, we are adding 110VAC motors and accessories into a saltwater tank that can conduct electricity like no ones business.

Thanks. I'll pick up one of those testers.

I switched the main cord that everything plugs into that goes into the wall to a brand new one and still read about 25 in my tank.

So then I switched plugs on the same outlet. No difference. Then I switched outlets to a newer one we had installed over the summer. No difference.

I'm going to try switching power strips and buying one of those testers now. I felt the tingle again putting my hand into the sump.

Would one of you guys be kind enough to test your stray voltage levels hooked up to a grounded outlet and then test not hooked up to a grounded outlet?

I'm wondering if that could be the difference between the equipment leaking stray voltage or not?

I can't get my hands on an outlet tester tonight. Hardware stores are closed and walmart doesn't have any in stock. :(

I'm going to run all tests tomorrow, I'm gonna bring equipment home from work.

I'll post results even if someone beats me to it.

I'm going to run all tests tomorrow, I'm gonna bring equipment home from work.

I'll post results even if someone beats me to it.

Thanks bud! Really appreciate that. It will be interesting for you to see too haha.

scottayy said:
Thanks bud! Really appreciate that. It will be interesting for you to see too haha.

Yeah I'm brining very gadget I can. I'm curious also because all my equipment is plugged into a battery back up surge protector which is self fused and everything so I'm wondering if that helps.

Would one of you guys be kind enough to test your stray voltage levels hooked up to a grounded outlet and then test not hooked up to a grounded outlet?

Sorry, can't help you there..... Any open-ground outlets that I found were immediately fixed!!!

scottayy said:
Old style outlets without the grounding hole are open-ground, right?

Yes. And I would have an electrician install a properly grounded GFI outlet for your tank at least. Again, saltwater and electricity can kill you really quick without warning. Just the engineer in me, so sorry to beat the drum.

Back
Top Bottom