stray voltage levels in saltwater aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gregcoyote said:
Yes. And I would have an electrician install a properly grounded GFI outlet for your tank at least. Again, saltwater and electricity can kill you really quick without warning. Just the engineer in me, so sorry to beat the drum.

Yeah, I understand. The tank currently is hooked up to a newer outlet with the grounding hole. However from what I read that doesn't mean its grounded.

Your input is much appreciated!

You can have amps and volts but without current your out of the danger zone. It's a misconception a lot of times.

You measure current in amps. No current = no amps. You can have high voltage with little amps, like a hi pot tester. You can have high amps but low voltage, like a car battery. No current is just that, nothing.

To answer the last post by the OP, yes, you can have a false ground. Basically they add a 3prong outlet so you can plug your devices in but in reality they are not tied to the ground bar in your panel.

meegosh said:
You measure current in amps. No current = no amps. You can have high voltage with little amps, like a hi pot tester. You can have high amps but low voltage, like a car battery. No current is just that, nothing.

To answer the last post by the OP, yes, you can have a false ground. Basically they add a 3prong outlet so you can plug your devices in but in reality they are not tied to the ground bar in your panel.

I think that's what I said or at least was trying to say. Without current you have nothing. Also I just wanna add, by putting the black probe in the tank an holding the red probe your gonna get some reading as your body and saltwater are conductors.

This subject could go on and on and we have all options here. Not saying I'm 100% right because I know I'm not. BUT, ideally you want no current in your tank. By adding a ground probe to your tank your adding current, a place for the electrons to go to, that's what you want to avoid isn't it?

Your panel in the house "should" be grounded and bonded, check with the outlets. I agree with the other poster, I forget who it was but they are correct 100% get a GFI that will help and the outlet will be grounded

It's not so black and white here IMO.

I've worked under an electrician for many years and should him this thread. He's trying to make sense of it.

He also has a saltwater tank 75 gallon and told me he has NO voltage, amps whatever coming from his tank. Like I said I'll take my meter and take a reading. I bet it's 0.

image-2611376981.jpg

I'm on a side job with him now. I'll take the equipment home tonight.

I don't wanna come off arrogant so I apologize if I did. I'm just trying to grasp this.

I still feel a ground probe is a bad idea.

To get a true measurement from your tank you need one side in the tank, and I wouldn't recommend sticking dirty meter leads in your tank. Use alligator clip leads onto a paperclip to avoid contamination. The other side needs to go to a known good ground (3rd prong in your outlet).

A grounding probe simply provides a path for stray voltage to return safely to ground.

Here is more information about GFI, AFCI's and ground probes than you'll ever know what to do with.

Grounding probe? waste of money? - Reef Central Online Community

Mainly this post:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4090805&postcount=18

Last edited:
meegosh said:
To get a true measurement from your tank you need one side in the tank, and I wouldn't recommend sticking dirty meter leads in your tank. Use alligator clip leads onto a paperclip to avoid contamination. The other side needs to go to a known good ground (3rd prong in your outlet).

A grounding probe simply provides a path for stray voltage to return safely to ground.

Here is more information about GFI, AFCI's and ground probes than you'll ever know what to do with.

Grounding probe? waste of money? - Reef Central Online Community

Mainly this post:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4090805&postcount=18

Thanks, I'll read up on it. I was under the impression that of you put a ground probe you allow the current to travel to that probe and of a fish gets in the way there a goner.

It will allow the current to go to a safe ground, rather than thru you. It doesn't solve the problem. With meter attached, unplug devices one at a time. You'll find the probe, heater or power head causing the problem.

It will allow the current to go to a safe ground, rather than thru you. It doesn't solve the problem. With meter attached, unplug devices one at a time. You'll find the probe, heater or power head causing the problem.

I've tried this. It is everything leaking various amounts of voltage. I unplugged a heater that was leaking 9. Everything else leaks between 2-6. If my outlet is ungrounded would this cause leaking from everything?

And, lowes is out of stock on any kind of outlet tester! Just my luck, walmart and lowes are out of them (who knew they'd be in high demand). I can order online or wait till next thursday when lowes gets their truck delivery.

Wonder if the dollar store would have 'em?

No idea (i know nothing about electricity). If you look at the picture in the first post you can see what my meter is set on.

Nope, but thanks! We do have an ace hardware I completely forgot about that.

Judging by your first picture it looks like your on the 200V step of your meter. Not sure if that meter auto ranges or not but I doubt you have 21.5 volts in your hand. ;) Try measuring on 200m (assuming mV) setting or 2V at the least. Should get you more accurate readings. You should only have a few mVs in your tank.

meegosh said:
Judging by your first picture it looks like your on the 200V step of your meter. Not sure if that meter auto ranges or not but I doubt you have 21.5 volts in your hand. ;) Try measuring on 200m (assuming mV) setting or 2V at the least. Should get you more accurate readings. You should only have a few mVs in your tank.

Hey Scotty, I'm not even sure if that was English!! Lol. Didn't understand a word, but he's an electrical engineer, so I'm pretty sure he knows what he's talkin about! Maybe all your problems are solved by this one semi-comprehensible sentence? Lol!!!

Yeah I had to put it on the 200V range because it maxed out the 200m, 2, and 20. The 200v range is the only one that would give me a reading. When set to lower it just reads "1" and the manual indicates that this means there's more current than the current setting will read, so go up to the next one.

So it looks like I really do have 21.5v on my hands!

I got ahold of a GFCI tester. The lights light up properly to tell me that my GFCI is grounded, and the tester button on the tester does trip the circuit.

So it looks like my outlet is fine.

Should I test the power strips as well?

Alright here's an update!

I tried the different settings on the meter like you said.

Here is what it reads on the 200m setting like you suggested:
img_2133822_0_97d349ac58c4483b9dab9a51868ae5fd.jpg

On the 2 setting, the meter indicates "1".
On the 20 setting, the meter indicates "1".
On the 200 setting, the meter indicates 20 something
On the 600 settings, the meter indicates like 0.81 (or something)

I really did not pay attention to the last two.

How much electricity am I working with here? I wish I knew more about electricity at this point.

I re-read the manual and it doesn't say anything about the "1" reading when testing for voltage (only for resistance does it say "1" means over range indication).

104mV seems much more realistic to me. A typical shock you get from dragging your feet on carpet is around 2.5-9kV depending on humidity. That's 2,500,000-9,000,000 mV!

That really doesn't solve the problem though.. When you did your checks for your heater(s) were they on or just plugged in? Also, I just noticed the AC/DC selector button, what are you using there?

Last edited:
104mV seems much more realistic to me. A typical shock you get from dragging your feet on carpet is around 2.5-9kV depending on humidity. That's 2,500,000-9,000,000 mV!

That really doesn't solve the problem though.. When you did your checks for your heater(s) were they on or just plugged in? Also, I just noticed the AC/DC selector button, what are you using there?

Thanks for your feedback! If I know that 104mV is the reading, is that acceptable? I'm sure it's more acceptable than 21.5V lol.

The button is pressed in, indicating that I'm testing for AC voltage.

I tested my heaters plugged in and unplugged. I did not check weather they were on or not. I doubt they were on as they are preset at 78 and the temp is 80 or so.

At least I am glad to know that my circuit is grounded and it trips when it's tested.

If I take a video of me testing the water later will you tell me what my reading is? This stuff is just out of my league.

Appreciate your feedback!

Back
Top Bottom