Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-26-2012, 03:19 AM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote

Yes. And I would have an electrician install a properly grounded GFI outlet for your tank at least. Again, saltwater and electricity can kill you really quick without warning. Just the engineer in me, so sorry to beat the drum.
Yeah, I understand. The tank currently is hooked up to a newer outlet with the grounding hole. However from what I read that doesn't mean its grounded.

Your input is much appreciated!

scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:53 AM   #42
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161 View Post
You can have amps and volts but without current your out of the danger zone. It's a misconception a lot of times.
You measure current in amps. No current = no amps. You can have high voltage with little amps, like a hi pot tester. You can have high amps but low voltage, like a car battery. No current is just that, nothing.

To answer the last post by the OP, yes, you can have a false ground. Basically they add a 3prong outlet so you can plug your devices in but in reality they are not tied to the ground bar in your panel.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:34 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by meegosh

You measure current in amps. No current = no amps. You can have high voltage with little amps, like a hi pot tester. You can have high amps but low voltage, like a car battery. No current is just that, nothing.

To answer the last post by the OP, yes, you can have a false ground. Basically they add a 3prong outlet so you can plug your devices in but in reality they are not tied to the ground bar in your panel.
I think that's what I said or at least was trying to say. Without current you have nothing. Also I just wanna add, by putting the black probe in the tank an holding the red probe your gonna get some reading as your body and saltwater are conductors.

This subject could go on and on and we have all options here. Not saying I'm 100% right because I know I'm not. BUT, ideally you want no current in your tank. By adding a ground probe to your tank your adding current, a place for the electrons to go to, that's what you want to avoid isn't it?

Your panel in the house "should" be grounded and bonded, check with the outlets. I agree with the other poster, I forget who it was but they are correct 100% get a GFI that will help and the outlet will be grounded

It's not so black and white here IMO.

I've worked under an electrician for many years and should him this thread. He's trying to make sense of it.

He also has a saltwater tank 75 gallon and told me he has NO voltage, amps whatever coming from his tank. Like I said I'll take my meter and take a reading. I bet it's 0.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2611376981.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	120836

I'm on a side job with him now. I'll take the equipment home tonight.

I don't wanna come off arrogant so I apologize if I did. I'm just trying to grasp this.

I still feel a ground probe is a bad idea.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:09 PM   #44
AA Team Emeritus

To get a true measurement from your tank you need one side in the tank, and I wouldn't recommend sticking dirty meter leads in your tank. Use alligator clip leads onto a paperclip to avoid contamination. The other side needs to go to a known good ground (3rd prong in your outlet).

A grounding probe simply provides a path for stray voltage to return safely to ground.

Here is more information about GFI, AFCI's and ground probes than you'll ever know what to do with.

Grounding probe? waste of money? - Reef Central Online Community

Mainly this post:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=18
Old 09-26-2012, 02:20 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by meegosh
To get a true measurement from your tank you need one side in the tank, and I wouldn't recommend sticking dirty meter leads in your tank. Use alligator clip leads onto a paperclip to avoid contamination. The other side needs to go to a known good ground (3rd prong in your outlet).

A grounding probe simply provides a path for stray voltage to return safely to ground.

Here is more information about GFI, AFCI's and ground probes than you'll ever know what to do with.

Grounding probe? waste of money? - Reef Central Online Community

Mainly this post:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=18
Thanks, I'll read up on it. I was under the impression that of you put a ground probe you allow the current to travel to that probe and of a fish gets in the way there a goner.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:45 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

It will allow the current to go to a safe ground, rather than thru you. It doesn't solve the problem. With meter attached, unplug devices one at a time. You'll find the probe, heater or power head causing the problem.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:55 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
It will allow the current to go to a safe ground, rather than thru you. It doesn't solve the problem. With meter attached, unplug devices one at a time. You'll find the probe, heater or power head causing the problem.
I've tried this. It is everything leaking various amounts of voltage. I unplugged a heater that was leaking 9. Everything else leaks between 2-6. If my outlet is ungrounded would this cause leaking from everything?

And, lowes is out of stock on any kind of outlet tester! Just my luck, walmart and lowes are out of them (who knew they'd be in high demand). I can order online or wait till next thursday when lowes gets their truck delivery.

Wonder if the dollar store would have 'em?
Old 09-26-2012, 09:02 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Freak

Do you have a harbor freight near by?
Old 09-26-2012, 09:04 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't know what that is, so i presume not.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:52 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I am suspecting a poor or none existing ground on this outlet. When you said "9" do you mean volts, millivolts?

Tags
aquarium, level, salt, saltwater, saltwater aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com