Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-27-2012, 03:01 PM   #61
AA Team Emeritus

At 100mV you wouldn't feel the shock so that's why I was hinting at making sure the heater was actually on. I'll keep checking back to see any updates.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:35 PM   #62
Aquarium Advice Addict

What's the best way to test? I get the highest results just putting the black probe on my finger. I get lower results if I put it in the ground plug of an outlet, and even lower if I touch it to a screw or something.

scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:44 PM   #63
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Your black wire should go to a good ground. That will show the voltage potential. IMO, if you can feel ANY tingling in the water, it is too much no matter what the meter reads.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:58 PM   #64
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, I agree.

Well I just tested again. Didn't feel any tingling in the sump this time. I'm going to plug in the heater that I unplugged and see if i feel the tingling again.

So, how do I interpret these results?

meter set on 600 - reads 004
meter set on 200 - reads 5.8
meter set on 20 - reads 6.47
meter set on 2 - reads "1."
meter set on 200m - reads "1 ."

What is my voltage?
Old 09-27-2012, 11:13 PM   #65
Aquarium Advice Addict

Alright I hooked the meter up to an outlet because I knew that should be around 120. My meter reads like 120.1 or somewhere around there. So I guess the number it gives me is volts. And if it's too high it reads "1".

That would mean that earlier today my tank had 104mV and when I read it most recently it had 6.47v.

What is the deal?
Old 09-28-2012, 12:09 AM   #66
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I tend to work in bare feet in my fish room which has a concrete floor and a little saltwater on it anytime I am working. I don't ever want to feel any electrical discharge even with wet feet.

I use a chiller and don't use a heater unless it gets real cold, then it is a inline heater. I don't trust heaters. I also have everything running thru GFI breakers.

A good experiment is unplugging everything for a few minutes and take a reading from there. No matter what scale you are on, it is zero potential as there is no power connected to the entire system. Then see how much it climbs as you plug each device back in.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:40 AM   #67
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah I did that on page two, greg Each device climbs a few volts.

I found *a* problem. Though it's not the problem (at least I don't think - does saltwater "hold" stray voltage for a period of time?). This outlet on my timer power strip didn't light up the LED's on the light tester. And it tests low on the digital multimeter though all of my other outlets test around 122 volts.

This is bad news, right?

Outlet Tester plugged in

No lights. The back indicates this would mean open hot.. however I just don't think it's getting enough power.

Sticking each probe directly into the outlet it reads .357 volts

I have it unplugged for now and will check later.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:45 AM   #68
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I might try another power strip and be sure it hasn't gotten wet.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:31 AM   #69
Aquarium Advice Addict

I get a new power strip. Used my outlet tester to make sure it was good and then used the voltage meter to check each outlet on it.

Everything was fine.

I then unhooked everything from all power strips. Took all equipment out of the tank, wiped down the wires, and redid my electrical wiring to make it tidier.

I found a koralia 750 wire going inbetween the tank and stand. No way I was getting that out of there so I cut the cord and used vice grips to pull the remaining wire out of there. Don't know how that happens but even if that wasn't the source of my problem it's still definitely not a good thing.

Unplugged the main cord to the outlet.

Everything is off. Nothing even going to the outlet! Still read .5 volts in the water??

Tested each equipment one by one. Everything gives off a volt or two. Things giving off more than 4 volts were my reactor pump, and two heaters.

Right now the only thing I have hooked up is my return pump and one koralia 750 and I'm still reading about 7 volts. Everything else is unplugged again and out of the tank for the time being.

This is frustrating the heck out of me!!!!! I just spent about 5 hours on it and came away with less knowledge than when I started.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:13 AM   #70
Aquarium Advice Addict

From extensive googling it appears that not much is known about this subject.

Some even say that 20, 40, or 60 combined stray voltage is good.

Could you guys test your tank with a digital multimeter with everything running and tell me what you get?

Tags
aquarium, level, salt, saltwater, saltwater aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com