Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-01-2013, 03:25 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

The stray voltage you are reading is "complete" or else you wouldn't be able to measure them. You feel the shock because you are grounded to the floor while touching the water.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:28 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

But inside the tank otherwise is not complete?

Old 11-01-2013, 03:35 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ-MIK View Post
But inside the tank otherwise is not complete?
That's correct. The fish are suspended and glass is a great insulator or I don't think fish can live with those stray voltages present.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:10 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Red in the water of course. And the black in all 3 prongs. Start with the ground... No reading. Then in the small prong I'm getting 100v.. And in the big prong I'm reading 14.4.
If you have a stray voltage, the reading between the water (red probe) and the ground (black probe) must not be 0V. If that's the case then there is no stray voltage and you will not feel anything with 0v between the water and the ground (round prong) or where you are standing. Otherwise, you were getting a false reading. Anyway, in a saltwater tank it is very common to have this stray voltage if you have pumps with flat electrical cords. The insulation of these flat cheap cords are not that good. However, there are pumps with motors outside the tank isolated from the water but they are expensive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:49 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ya. I do black to ground. And Ted to water. I get 0v. Small prong reads 14.4 and large prong reads 100.. Wouldn't the ground be dead tho? The house is old . And there is no ground.. The outlets are 2 prong. Not 3
Old 11-01-2013, 11:08 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Ya. I do black to ground. And Ted to water. I get 0v. Small prong reads 14.4 and large prong reads 100.. Wouldn't the ground be dead tho? The house is old . And there is no ground.. The outlets are 2 prong. Not 3
The round prong is the ground. I'm not sure what you refer to as a ground which might not be really grounded. If you read 100vac between water and the large prong (neutral) then that is your stray voltage and that is scary. You are just lucky cause your floor may have a good insulation. Once it is flooded then you better watch out. I use a grounding prove whenever I work in my tank.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:32 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I was only getting a tingle in a cut. No where else. I even put the cut against the metal stand and felt nothing. Just in the water. And my floor was soaked cuz I was scrubbing hair algae off rocks. Lol. Ill get further into it tomorrow. And recheck everything extensively
Old 11-01-2013, 11:34 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Which is the proper way to plug the black into? Snail prong. Large prong. Or ground? I just looked at my wall outlet. And it is 3 prong.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:08 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

There is no polarity in ac power. That means the color of the test probe doesn't matter. When measuring stray voltage the reference is the round prong (ground) or the large prong which you already have measured to be 100vac.

Old 11-02-2013, 04:19 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

In the morning. I will test everything again and post what I'm getting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com