Stress coat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keysman

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just purchased a bi colour angle the guy at the lfs did not use stress coat on him and he is not doing too good he is lying on his side been in the tank for 3 hours now I have a few questions about this 1.how well dose the bi colour adjust to a new tank and 2. is it common practice not to use stress coat

My Bi color Dwarf angle was a picky eater at first. After a while he got with the program and ate the mysis shrimp and flakes. At first I would just see him eat the cyclopeze. See if he is eat'n or at least try'n to, maybe thats the problem. The reason I say this is because I did alot of read'n about them and it says they are tough to feed. I have no experiance with stress coat in my saltwater tank. When I first started the owner of the fish store told me there is no need for it. So knock on wood I've never had an issue with it and my tank has been go'n close to 3 years. I'm sure it has some benifit and there will be more experienced people on here that will streer you straight with the real ins and outs on that. All I can say is check you parameters and surf the web to find out as much as you can on the Bi Color. In most of the books I own they say it's a tough fish to keep. Plus I'm sure a real knowlegeble person will pop up on here with a few tricks that may help. Here is a link to get an Idea of the parameters and whatnot. Good luck.

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Bicolor Angelfish Dwarf Angel

I`ve never used Stress coat. It`s not needed. Pristine water conditions are needed. Speaking of, what are your water test results?

It's not that he is not eating he has only been in the tank 6 hours he's just in a cave on the bottom and I was wondering if they are a problem when first introduce to the tank got a little Saddle Valentini Puffer in a 200l/55g tank with live rock

Test results are ammonia 0
Nitrates. 0
Nitrites. 0
Ph. 8.
Saddle Valentini Puffer in thank is fine I'm think it had to do with stress

Oh man that sucks. sorry to hear that. Did you acclimate the Bi Color before introduce'n him to the tank? Will you be able to take the fish back and at least get you're money back consider'n he was only in the tank a few hours?

Had him floating in the bag in the top of the tank for 15 mins then added a cup of tank water every 5 mins did this twice then added the fish not the bag water this is what I did with the Saddle Valentini Puffer had no problems with him I'm thinking he got stress traveling.
I think the lfs where I got him from have a no return policy which I can kinda understand as he was fine in the store i will call them today to see what they say

Hey Keysman, You are probably right and I know you're other fish acclimated well with the technique but I recommend do'n it the same way but when you let the bag float in the tank for 15 mins and then add a scoop of water every 5 mins you should add tank water til the bag is full then dump out half and add tank water every 5 mins again til it's full then add the fish by itself. It may not have helped but with a tricky fish like that you should go the extra mile and be extra careful. I do that with all my new additions and so far so good. I hope everything works out for you and good luck with you're next fish.

I would do a drip acclimation in the future, it is especially important with a delicate fish like an angel. Your LFS should give you a piece of tube for it. It is a much safer method because it slowly acclimates the fish which allows less of a chance for shock.

Just added another fish a coral beauty(hear the are a bit more hardy then the bi colour) let him sit in the tank for 15 min then did the drip method over 30 mins put about 8 cups of tank water in that time the bag was almost full and so far so good he is eating and doing fine thanks for the good info

Back
Top Bottom