Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-05-2003, 02:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Send a message via AIM to JohnnyOneBeat
strip lights for reef tank?

I was wondering if it is possible to use two strip lights on a reef tank. if I get the special tubes. If this will work, what kind of coral can I keep at that low light intensity. If not what is the cheapest option.

thanks for your post,

JohnnyOneBeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 03:03 PM   #2
IMO that lighting would not work for any coral.. I would look into PC lights or even better yet MH.. From your profile it states you are wanting 55gal.. I would suggest at least 6x55watt PCs will work for a majority of your corals.. You can get the Ultra Reef 6x55watt for around $325.00+S/H I would highly suggest maybe 2x175watt MH and 2 48" VHO lights.. You can get the kit on ebay for around 300.00 plus the cost of MH bulbs which are around 100.00 ea bulb.. With regards lighting is Considered the MOST expensive part of your setup.. so go with something that will work with everything such as MH.. Buying another setup sucks.. I know that from personal experience.. BTW i had the 6x55watt setup on my 55gal tank and it had light but not nearly enough.. I am switching to 2x250watt MH along with 2x55watt actinics..

Old 11-05-2003, 03:14 PM   #3
Go with the Custom Sea life moonlite hoods. They are very well built. Wattage depends on the length of the hood. The moonlite looks cool a night also. I am also offering fee shipping on these to AA members.
captivereefs is offline   Reply With Quote

light, lights, reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com