Strolling Feather Duster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stresco

Aquarium Advice Addict
Came back home this morning and peeked into my tank, (I like the blue look) only the actinics are on at this time of the day, and guess what? My oldest Hawaiian Feather Duster (had him over a year) decided to leave his tube and take a stroll around my tank last night. He still has his head, and his body attatched to each other. I have no idea yet why he would leave his tube. I havent added anything other than some corals to my tank in a very very long tim. Actually, my last aditions consisted of some zoos, acros, and shrooms. I also added 10 redlegged hermits about a month ago, to keep up my depleating invert population (aggressive fish). My Halides arent on yet so i havent tested the water so Im not 100% sure of my levels yet. Once i\I test the tank, I will post the results. Any ideas what I should look for if all tests are good?

55gal
130+lbs LR
DSB
2X175Watt CV MH
2X33Watt N0 03
10gal sump
10gal fuge
macro
ev-180skimmer
SPS
LPS
Zoos
Yumas
Rics
Leathers\softies
Squamosa Clam
Inverts (Snails, Hermits, Blue Linkia, Surpent Stars)
Tuskfish
Purple Tang
Hawaiian Dragon Moray

PS: I do a 10-20% water change every week.

I can't really think of much off the top of my head, is it close to any corals thay may have streamers? (the thin long threads that feel out for other corals) if so it may have gotten a sting from one of them and decided to move out.

Oh well guys. I know you were all real concerned about my feather duster :roll: so i just wanted to let you know that he is not suffering any longer. I found my Purple Tang eating him this morning :cry: . He is gone. I still have no idea why he just up and leave his tube like that :? .

I have been told they do that went stressed, or just don't like the position they are in, also been told they can't make a new tube in an aquarium so once out they are doomed to die....

Hopefully some one will correct me if any/all of that is wrong....

Had one of mine do it about a week ago, funnily enough it hadn't seemed to have grown since I got it, but the other I got at the same time is now twice the size! go figure...

Cheers Shelton.

Shultz said:
I have been told they do that went stressed, or just don't like the position they are in, also been told they can't make a new tube in an aquarium so once out they are doomed to die....
True they will move if unhappy with a locale in the tank. Completely false on the rebuilding of the tube though. Once in a new place of their own accord or yours, they should be able to rebuild the tube within a day or two.

Dusters will typically bail from lack of nutrient, insufficient water flow or something continuously pestering them. Nearby corals and such are not normally a concern nor is lighting.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks for correcting me, mine did die or was eaten by the crabs before he had a chance to do anything else.... 8O :roll: :oops:

Cheers Shelton.

Back
Top Bottom