Strong water currents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blrrobinson21

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys and gals,
Ive got a 90 gal tank that has been set up for a little over a year. Ive got around 100 lbs or Lr with a leather coral, mushrooms, star polyps and we just added some pulsing xenia. Im having a hard time running my ph without blowing everything over. Right now im running one koralia 3 placed on the back glass, left side pointed towards the surface and middle of the tank. Its working ok but the xenia is blowing around enough that it wont do their pulsing dance. If I turn the ph off they dance like crazy. Everything else seems to love the Ph being off as well, the mushrooms open up huge as well as the toadstool. I have no idea how I would run my other ph, any suggestions or is this all normal.

Sounds like the normal "dance of the powerheads"! You get things just the way you like them and then you add something that forces you to rethink the whole setup. I've just got done doing that because of coral growth changing flow patterns and creating dead spots that didn't exist before!

All I can suggest is keep trying different arrangements until you get one that makes everyone happy. Maybe post a picture of your current arrangement and folks can make suggestions?

Maybe downgrade to a Koralia 2? But I agree with Kurt, change the position or the direction till you find a good spot.
I actually postioned one at my Xenia to help control it from growing out of control.

Maybe try to get them all crashing into each other at the surface? Or just use 2 of them crashing into each other at the front, middle glass. If neither of those work, gotta start wondering if the pumps are too strong for your smaller tank.

Hey guys, thinks for the suggestions. I have moved those silly PH's all over the tank. I think Ive got it in a ok spot for now, nothing seems to be getting blown over anyhow. What really surprises me is the amount of water or current that the ph sucks into it. I can see the current from across the tank when Ive got the sandbed stirred up. Ill try to post pics when I get the camera back from the wife.

Back
Top Bottom