strontium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roka64

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been looking at corals and some of them require strontium, is this something that can be replenished in PWCs or is it a suppliment that needs to be added to the water? Sorry for all the coral questions but I am taking the plunge into reefing (I never thought I would say that)!

Congrats on the plunge. I knew you would be saying it sooner or later LOL. Strontium is a trace element that is covered with frequent PWC`s. I cant speak for SPS corals but my soft and LPS corals have done great with no supplements and only PWC`s.

Ok, cool. I was reading up on the test kit and the drs site said the old tests used to take up to an hour to complete!

petstore.com has instructions for the Salifert Strontium Test Kit and says it takes 12-15 minutes but is a fairly time consuming process.

Unless you have a heavy SPS load depleting Strontium/calcium I think regular pwc should be enough to maintain it. A lot of the foods we feed also have trace amounts of Strontium so more then likely it's higher than nsw anyways. (7 - 9 mg/L)

Cool, that's kind of what I figured, I just wanted to be safe and informed.

melosu58 said:
schulze said:
Kent Marine has a Strontium & Molybdenum supplement that I use in my tank.

What do you have in your tank that you have to dose for?

After replumbing my tank I had a problem where some polyps were falling off the rock they attached to and I read somewhere that strontium will help with that. I also bought a turbinaria that was in bad shape so i supplemented that for a while to help with its skeleton and with my trial of sps, which is going well.

I also read that it might help with coralline, but it hasnt seemed to work.

I dont dose very often and am actually slowing stoping becuase it is possible for strontium to be toxic in the aquarium if over used.

schulze said:
I dont dose very often and am actually slowing stoping becuase it is possible for strontium to be toxic in the aquarium if over used.

Thats why it`s important to test first to see if you need it. Ok thanks for the answer.

Back
Top Bottom