Strontium...What is this stuff?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DHS

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone. Long time reader, first time poster. As you maybe able to tell from the subject I've got a question about an element called
Strontium
. It's suppose to be good for my Acropora that I have in my tank (month old edition to the tank). But reading on the internet I've found that it is a metallic element. Now the question is will this really help my Acropora grow and flurish in my tank or will it simply cause more problems then its worth??

Thanks in advance to everyone,
DHS

I don't know of the metallic properties of strontium, but it is a natural trace element found in seawater. If kept at NSW levels it is benificial to LPS corals, it was almost impossible to keep Elegance corals before addition of strontium became common place (now it is impossible cause of Gall Crabs :roll: ), it aids in the prevention of tissue sloughing from the skeleton. I do not add anything to my reef that I don't test for, I keep softies, LPS and SPS. If you do frequent waterchanges, I d not feel it is necessary to replenish trace elements, Major elements like CA and Carbonate are another story....

Back
Top Bottom