struggling a bit with algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drewbie

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I would not say I have a huge Algae problem but I get a fine layer of green dust on the front of my glass every two days if I dont wipe it down every day and its annoying to say the least.

I am currently running 8 x 54w T5 all my tests are in normal range

I run my blues acrylics from 2pm to 12am and I run my whites 10k from 5 to 10.

I have a 75 gallon.

I was wondering if I could remove two of the bulbs? if not does anyone have any other suggestions? Are my blues on two long?

My corals look great but I would rather not fight this every day algae issue if I don't have to.

Any thoughts

The first follow up question that pops into my mind is, are we talking hair algea or green coraline algea. The later is actually quite a good indication that your tank is healthy and, while it may be a drag to clean, bodes well for your tank. If it is hair algea, then a couple things come to mind, practically speaking. First, make sure you have a sufficient clean up crew. Snails are an important part of a clean up crew, most folks don't spend the money to replace snails and crabs as they die off and find that over time certain unwanted side affects occur. Second, consider something a little more aggressive. One of the best purchases I *ever* made for my mature 75 gallon was a black long spine urchin. They can get large and knock things over, however, for the money, this thing was an algea vacum. As for your lighting cycle, on my 75 with VHOs, I ran the actinics cor 12 hours and the daylights (10k) for 10 hours. GL!

if its just on the glass i dont think its much of a problem everybody gets if we dont wipe it down

I have probably about 14 snails and 8 hermits along with a star I had a pencil urchin but he kept knocking over my corals

and yea I don't think its hair.

so are my 10ks not on long enough? if I turn it on longer will it not make the Algae issue worse?

Your lights seem okay. It's a personal thing. Some people like more blue then others. How old is your tank. My present setup is just over 1 year and it's been 3 months since I had to clean my glass. Before that it was a daily thing.
img_989329_0_cc22f6bdf8ae1f62d2f94daec9be5e1a.gif

Back
Top Bottom