Stuck pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blenny

Aquarium Advice Regular
This is annoying. Each time I must stop my sump pump it gets stuck on restart. I have to remove the rotor and wipe it or the pump won't restart.

Is this somehow expected. Pump is a triton 3 from deep blue.

I'm a pool and spa guy and these pumps are very similar in design to what I work on daily. Heck some of them are made by the same manufacturers. In my experience when a pump shuts down but struggles to start spinning again it's usually due to a burnt armature. Basically means your bearings are bad. The pump uses magnetic polarity to start and keep spinning and if you have a burnt armature what happens is depending on where the shaft lands when it stops spinning it may not be able to start spinning again( will over heat and trip the capacitor) this is why you are able to still get it going by spinning the shaft. How old is the pump? If this is the case which it sounds like it is, really the only thing you can do is replace the motor.

Wow! Thanks for the full explanation.

I got this pump new 2 weeks ago so I guess I will get a refund ASAP

Yeah there is absolutely no reason for a brand new pump to be doing this. It probably was not assembled correctly at the factory. Some big manufacturers have such high output that there quality control can't catch everything. Triton is a huge company but I think there motors are actually made by a separate company

Got a replacement triton 3 pump last week but it now has the same issue!

Actually worst this time since I could not restart the pump at all. Seems stuck for good.

I bit the bullet and got a good renown quality brand from my LFS.... Not a good idea to skimp on the pump.

Back
Top Bottom