stuff to bring home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ConanTheLibraia

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'll be going to the beach this next week, and I was wondering if there was anything I could bring home from the beach for the 55 gallon I will be setting up immediatly after. It will be at fripp island, (right near hilton head SC.) If I brought home regular rock from the ocean, would this be live rock, would it be safe to put in my aquarium? We catch tons of fish and other cool stuff with a huge shrimp net we drag, is anything the catch safe to put in my tank? Is it a good idea to bring home sand from the

OH yea, anybody want a stingray or baby hammerhead shark let me know.

What you have posted in this thread is what is wrong with salt IMO. I don't like the idea of taking fish out of their natural habitat and confineing them to a tank. The goldfish I keep probably havn't seen the wild for almost a thousand years. If only they could breed SW in captivity.

RogerMcAllen said:
If only they could breed SW in captivity.

I agree completely, but there are many that have (even if late) begun very successful breeding programs.

I personally wish more hobbiest would demand them. (y)

ConanTheLibraian said:
I'll be going to the beach this next week, and I was wondering if there was anything I could bring home from the beach

Chances are that you will be violating several local and federal laws prohibiting this kind of "collecting". I would definately check that first.
If you are able to, I would still strongly suggest you reconsider.

Cheers
Steve

OK, it looks like its not a good idea for any livestock, but what about normal beach sand?

OK, it looks like its not a good idea for any livestock, but what about normal beach sand?

Unless your collecting from off shore, it will be easier and much safer (read cheaper in the long run) to pick up a bag of southdown from HD.

A shark would be Awesome!!!! Especially for a hugh aquarium. My fiance' wants to move down by flordia, and of course im all for that :D Closer to all the action, and cheaper prices compared to where i live. As far as taking sand and stuff from the ocean i would be careful. I do believe federal law prohibits that for the 48 states. (hawaii and alaska are exceptions i do believe) I have heard of people using the sand and the sorts from hawaii, very clear and clean water there with minimal pollution, i should take a vacation there :wink: Well good luck to ya!

You dont want sand from Hawaii. Yeah it would be cool looking, but one of the native gods doesnt approve of it. I have a friend from there, cant remember the name of the god, but she passes bad luck to anyone removing sand and rocks from her islands. :twisted:

From what I understand, You run a huge risk of disease or other kinds unwanted conditions. Especially from public beaches. BUT, my fiance' went down to Galveston a few months ago and brought back a few small anenomes and some snails, Nasaarius, a introduced them into our tank while I was at work. :evil: But, as it turned out, we got really, really, really lucky that nothing went wrong since Galveston has to be the dirtiest beach on earth. In fact, they are my best cleaning snails, and the anenomes ( i got rid of the bigger one right away from fear of disaster) is still alive.

Back
Top Bottom