Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-12-2010, 02:11 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice FINatic

" i bought them to start the hobby up this wasnt the lfs idea. i knew about the trade in before hand when i had a fresh tank.
"

This leads me to believe that you did know what you were doing by adding the fish to cycle the tank. But now you are saying that the LFS told you to do this, and that you didnt know about the dangers of it. Maybe you meant to say something different here?

Im quite confused by what happened...

matt

Old 08-12-2010, 02:29 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Regular

your right your confused but yet you read it right.

the lfs didnt push the "sale" on me, i planned to buy the damsels first anyways hence i bought them to start the hobby not to start the cycle. i let the tank sit to try and cycle it first. i didnt know what to put in there for the first month or so before i added fish.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:38 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryin2layadime View Post
your right your confused but yet you read it right.

the lfs didnt push the "sale" on me, i planned to buy the damsels first anyways hence i bought them to start the hobby not to start the cycle. i let the tank sit to try and cycle it first. i didnt know what to put in there for the first month or so before i added fish.
Ok, so then the LFS promoted the use of the damsels for cycling purposes...Back to my, "shame on the LFS" statement.

At least, now you know.

As for the live rocks...They really make things much better in the tank whether they look nice or not. Id buy some live rock and some cheapo base rock for the live rock to "seed".

Aquascaping really comes down to imagination. You can use reef safe epoxy to aid in the aquascaping.

Matt
Old 08-12-2010, 03:12 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Regular

where are some sites for decent priced base rock and live rock?

and yes now i know. like i said im still learning im asking all kinds of questions and the lfs like i said doesnt try to make the sale like the bigger markets do. they are locally owned and operated and strive for repeat business not steering ppl wrong.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:17 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
where are some sites for decent priced base rock and live rock?

and yes now i know. like i said im still learning im asking all kinds of questions and the lfs like i said doesnt try to make the sale like the bigger markets do. they are locally owned and operated and strive for repeat business not steering ppl wrong.
Ebay is a great place for live rock. Ive bought all my live rock on ebay and been happy. Reefcleaners.org is a great place for dry base rock. I have bought from them as well and am happy.

Matt
Old 08-12-2010, 04:09 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Regular

thank you man.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:57 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Silent : no i used tap where my tank is located is by a outside hose. i ran the water threw the hose then added it to the tank treated and let sit for a few days running threw filters then i added the salt and sand to the mix. but since then ive been adding 2-4 gallons of filtered RO water and ive added that several times

Mitchell : thanks for the info ill look it up

Thincat : yes ive heard it called diatoms but ive done a water change actually i did a half water change. so what are my options from here
MANY garden hoses and outside hose bibs have copper alloy connectors. do NOT use these to fill your tank.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:18 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

PWC helps in the fight with diatoms, but the only cure is time. They will burn themselves out in "due time". Put in some snails and that will help it along. It's called "the rights of passage". lol
Old 08-13-2010, 07:40 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Freak

diatoms all day, then youll go through o no i have green hair algae phase, then the o no whats the this green algae, then finally youll hit the is this pink algae ok? this all takes about 1/2 to a year depending on how much you feed over feed, frozen vs flake , supplements. I recommend 1 feeding every other day, and try to not use any supplements if reef. Also water changes every other week, finding the best results with these, only coraline algae grows in my tank now, all the other algae has died out minus an occasional bloom of some sort but then dies.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:45 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Regular

thanks snow. and i do flake food for right now. once i get the lionfish i plan to do some live feedings. As long as it will die out i guess ill have to deal with it. i add about 3 gallons of RO a week due to evaporation. and i have no live rock at the moment i need to find a spot who sells it cheaper then my lfs since they want 7 bucks a pound.

Tags
algae, brown algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com