Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-07-2010, 11:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Stupid Brown Algae. HELP!

ok i have this brown algae growing. ive taken everything out and cleaned it with hot water and let it sit out for a while. i have a diamond goby for the sand and 3 snails but yet it is still coming back. i have had this set up for about 2 months and have done one water change which was recent (last week) i did a huge change i have a 55 gallon and i took out 26 gallons. my nitrites and nitrates are fine they were elevated but since the change they have balanced out. no other levels are high. how can i get rid of this with out having to scrub the tank and STRESS out the fish.

Old 08-08-2010, 05:14 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

when you first added water 2 months ago, did you use RO water, or 'treated' tap water?

Adam
Silent Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:23 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

FantasyReef Databases-Viewing item "10 Step Plan for Nuisance Algae Control"

Follow those steps and your algae will go away.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:13 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

What you have is "Referred to as a microalgae, brown or golden algae is actually not an algae at all, but diatoms. What you are actually seeing in your tank are diatom skeletons, all linked together. It can appear as a simple dusting on the tank walls and substrate surfaces, or it can turn into a massive growth that covers just about everything in the tank. This type of algae outbreak typically occurs when a tank is just completing or has just finished the nitrogen cycle". PWC will help, but it normally goes away with time.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Silent : no i used tap where my tank is located is by a outside hose. i ran the water threw the hose then added it to the tank treated and let sit for a few days running threw filters then i added the salt and sand to the mix. but since then ive been adding 2-4 gallons of filtered RO water and ive added that several times

Mitchell : thanks for the info ill look it up

Thincat : yes ive heard it called diatoms but ive done a water change actually i did a half water change. so what are my options from here
Old 08-08-2010, 05:33 PM   #6
is back to save the day!

That tap water is where your problem is. Most likely, your tap water contains excess nutrients and other elements that nuisance algae feed on, such as silicates for diatoms, nitrates for other algaes.. etc.. The main reason us reefers use RO/DI water is because it is pure, and contains nothing that can feed algae growth. Look up the benefits of using RO/DI water in a reef/saltwater environment and you will see what you've been missing out on.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:22 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

good lesson but now that i have 55 gallons of water that I DO NOT plan on changing out what are my other options.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:24 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryin2layadime View Post
good lesson but now that i have 55 gallons of water that I DO NOT plan on changing out what are my other options.
Get some scrubbing pads, GFO, and carbon...

Matt
Old 08-08-2010, 08:51 PM   #9
is back to save the day!

You don't have to change it all out.. even though you could. If you begin using RO/DI water, and you do your weekly partial water changes, all of the water in the tank will eventually be swapped out with RO/DI water. Takes a little time.. but really not that much. Also.. if you continue to use tap water.. you will most likely be having the same problems you are having now... forever. You can do what Matt suggested, but that's really only temporarily fixing the problem.. not removing it.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:11 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

ya i just added 3 gallons of ro water. is there a fish/invertibrate that will eat/clean the stuff

and i plan to do RO/DI water changes now. i think 5 gallons every 2 weeks should help.

Tags
algae, brown algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com