stupid pH wont stay up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No it wont unless you leave the tank empty for ages without feeding the tank(fish flake food).you have by the sounds of it enough BB to finish the cycle and start stocking the tank.stop dosing and you'll see the trites dissapear very quickly now.I bet your trates will also drop to zero,

David S said:
No it wont unless you leave the tank empty for ages without feeding the tank(fish flake food).you have by the sounds of it enough BB to finish the cycle and start stocking the tank.stop dosing and you'll see the trites dissapear very quickly now.I bet your trates will also drop to zero,

Ok, thx!!! I will give it a try starting tomorrow (already dosed amm today).

U think my pH will stabilize too once this whole amm, trite, trate business is over?!

This has been a rollercoaster ride for me, don't remember my 30g to have been this bad. But it's been 3 years now anyways hahaha

Hey ccCapt. I am a bit confused. Straighten me out if you can (may not be possible but....). While I agree that a "PWC is NEVER a bad thing" once you have cycled and you have added livestock, it seems counter intuitive during the cycle. The point of the cycle is to encourage growth and multiplication f the BB right? BB consume the AM then the nitrite? Having higher levels of both will cause the BB to thrive right? So, based on all that, seems to me that PWC will remove the Am and Nitrite that you need for the BB to thrive. What am I missing here?
This article may explain it a little better.
Reefkeeping 101 - Bogus Information - by Tom Murphy (aka WaterKeeper) - Reefkeeping.com

Well I'm sorry to say that even after a larger pwc and all the nitrites are still high and pH is still 7.8 >.<
Guess it's still better than 7.4
Let's wait some more, shall we

Don't worry too much about pH. With regular water changes using quality salt mixes and keep your water agitated it should stay within reason. Having an 8.2 pH isn't that important anyways. I've recently had a Dendronepthya pop up in my nano and my pH is 7.8 at last measure (over a month ago because I simply don't believe it to be too important)

Back
Top Bottom