Stupid Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GSXRDan

Aquarium Advice Regular
I know this may sound stupid to some of you, but being relatively new to this I have to ask. What does a refugium do? What are its benefits to the overall health of the tank? TIA

A fuge has many benefits and it all depends on what you want from it.
Some set it up using a DSB, LR rubble and macroalgae for nutrient removal and nitrate reduction. This is the main reason for most.
Other set it up to culture live foods such as pods.
An added benefit is the extra water volume that it gives a system, that is always a plus.
A fuge is becoming one of the main techniques for helping a system become self sustaining.

a refugium is where one would grow pods to feed their fish and/or macro algae to make use of nutrient export which helps to cut down on micro algae (that annoying green crud) and bad bad cyanobacteria growth (red slimy stuff). those i believe are the main reasons.

I like the fact that a fuge mimics a more natural environment for your marine setup. I have one myself. Another added benefit is the fact that you can use your fuge for 24-hour lighting to help control the pH levels. When your system goes without light for a period of time, the pH levels tend to drop. When the lights on the main tank are on, the fuge light is off. When the lights on the main tank are off, the light on the fuge is on, thus 24-hour lighting

Back
Top Bottom