Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-04-2010, 04:40 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

CaptainAhab... think you're confusing the Remora with other skimmers. The Remora doesn't have an air intake at all. Did you add one?

Salukis97... What tube are you planning on bending? The only thing on a stock Remora that you can do to change the consistancy of the skimmate is to raise/lower the collection cup like you've been doing.

A couple things... any skimmer will take a while to break in and if yours is only a week old, it might just need some more time. Maybe try running it without the collection cup until things settle down? That way the excess foam will just stay within the skimmer.

The other thing is that Remoras are known to skim very wet. You're not going to get the dry skimmate like you see everyone else's skimmer putting out. Most likely you'll get skimmate more like green tea. Just so you know...

I've heard of others that have had problems like you mention with the Remora that never seem to "calm down". Not sure why that is, but AquaC actually sells an optional collection cup that is taller and has a longer tube on it so the foam has farther to go until it gets to the collection cup. I think I've seen them sold on the MarineDepot website.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:48 PM   #12
Thanx but no.....

Hmmmmm.. Go figure... making bubbles without air

Old 01-04-2010, 04:51 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sucks the air in through the top of the skimmer body, just to the left of the collection cup. There is no airline going to the pump. Doesn't work like 99.9% of all the other skimmers out there. It basically pushes a bunch of water through a nozzle onto the surface of the water in the skimmer body, creating a foam of bubbles.

I'm guessing you're not familiar with them...
Old 01-04-2010, 05:01 PM   #14
Thanx but no.....

If it's not an Octo it doesn't exist...... whoda thunk it.... But then that's why there's people like you here keeping an eye on the flock
Old 01-04-2010, 05:42 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAhab View Post
If it's not an Octo it doesn't exist.....

Oh... and just to be clear, I'm not keeping an eye on ANY flocks! I'm just one of the ten people in the world that will actually admit to having an AquaC Remora skimmer!
Old 01-04-2010, 05:44 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Whew, thought I was missing something there.

I wasn't planning on actually kinking anything. I'm just going to let it run another week or two in the hopes that it will stop skimming 5+ gallons of water out of my system per day.

Thanks for the clarification Kurt.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post

Oh... and just to be clear, I'm not keeping an eye on ANY flocks! I'm just one of the ten people in the world that will actually admit to having an AquaC Remora skimmer!
I've noticed on more than one forum that some people are down on this skimmer, but almost all the user reviews at the online stores are very positive. Weird.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:54 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Call the company back and ask for a clarification.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:12 AM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

I never liked mine and sold it. Used the CPR Bak Pak (II, I believe it was)instead for my smaller tanks.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:14 AM   #20

Wouldn't you know it. Here I am complaining about all the water this thing is putting out, and lo and behold I got home from work yesterday to find it functioning normally. At least it looks normal to me based on my very limited experience. There must actually be something to that silly break in period the company warned me about. duh.

There is now a big tower of nice frothy bubbles slowing making it's way into the collection cup instead of a frantic wet mess. This is what I'm supposed to see right?

The color is akin to weak tea at the moment. My tank is only a couple weeks old, so hopefully the skimmate will get darker with time. We'll see. It's also stocked pretty light at the moment, so I can't imagine there is a whole lot to skim anyway.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Tags
skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com