Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-05-2010, 10:50 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict
People either love or hate the Remoras, it seems. They seem to work for some, not so good for others. For me, it's hard to nail down the problems because everyone's tanks are so different. I do know that the quality has gone downhill since I bought mine 3+ years ago. I bought a new collection cup within the last year, and it's obviously made waaaay cheaper than the original one. The tube is glued in crooked, rough edges on the inside, etc. Really disappointed, but it still works fine.

There are definitely more powerful skimmers out there, no arguments there. But you really can't beat the simplicity and plug'n'play aspect of the Remora. There is just absolutely nothing adjust or futz with. (And I think that's what some folks don't like about it!)

Regarding your skimmate... I wouldn't expect it to get really dark. Here's a shot of what my "normal" skimmate looks like. My bioload is not super heavy (1 clown, 1 cardinal, 1 tiny goby, 3 chromis in a 46g).

Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:02 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Yeah, my skimmate isn't quite that dark yet, but it's close.

I was actualy planning on getting an in-sump skimmer, but I didn't account for the size that a lot of them take up when designing my sump. The only space big enough for one is in my fuge portion of the sump where I currently have a sandbed and cheato. It probably wouldn't be a good idea to put an in-sump skimmer in there with all the sand and cheato would it? That's why I ended up going with a HOB, and all my research for a good HOB pointed to the Remora.

Salukis97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:24 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just an update. Now that I have found what I believe to be the optimum height for the collection cup, my Remora is producing darker skimmate by the day. There is a pretty constant tower of semi dry foam coming into the cup. I guess I just needed to be patient with the break in period.

I am now a satisfied Remora customer.

Salukis97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com