Sturdiness of Stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redsea

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi there, as some of you know, I am in the market for a new tank! I noticed this deal online, and was really excited. However, based on the photo, the stand looks extraordinarily weak, I just wanted to get a few opinions on how the stand quality looks (I know, it is difficult to tell from the photo, sorry!). What are your opinions? I would go to the store to look, but they would have to special order it. Or do any of you have it? I will be using it for a salt tank...don't know if all the rock will be too much. Thanks!

You could always build your own stand for pretty cheap and it would be incredibly sturdy. There are quite a few how-to videos and pages for guidance.

The stand will be "ok" for a little while. It will however start to de-laminate and break down after continued exposure to moisture, salt will only accelerate the process. I'd highly recommend building one yourself contacting a cabinet shop or finish carpenter to do so..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You know as well as anyone .. Once it's filled with water it's too late to second guess yourself ,..build one yourself and make it sturdier than it needs to be ,... You'll sleep better at nite and you can tailor it to your own needs , a few 2x4's and a little time is all it'll take , better safe than sorry ,.... I bought a stand for my first tank and it looked so flimsy I decided to shore it up with 2x4's before I added any water . I've built everything myself since then

Last edited:
^^THIS^^
IMO the stand and canopy(if you choose one) are as important aesthetically as the contents of tank.:cool:
Piece of mind on a solid build is always comforting once you go over 100g also. :oops:
The only premade" wood" stand I have is over 7 years old but ...it is delaminating as Brookster mentioned.I didn't buy it it came with the whole setup that was a give away deal so....But yea it's 120g!:hide:
I wish I hadn't used the stand and canopy.:facepalm:

not to mention that is waayyy too much $$$ for what they are selling.
Have you checked craigslist or other places.

Thanks everyone!

I have been checking craigslist, and no luck yet. I will keep looking.

I would have a local carpenter build you one, maybe without doors as you can buy finished doors on line for very little money. You'll be ahead in the long run. Even better and cheaper if you build it yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom