Substance on side of fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brad Shelton

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can anyone tell me what this is and what to do about it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 135
Has the fish been acting normal? Eating habits, swimming unusual?

It's kind of hard to take a guess based solely on a blurry picture with no zero background/information! :)

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

That looks like it could be fungus, but the picture is really blurry, so it's hard to tell. Beautiful fish, though!

It looks like fungus but I have only experienced freshwater fish with fungus. What species is that? Looks cool

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

There is fungus issues in SW also. Check out lymphocytis in Sw. That might be what it is. Also known as cauliflower disease.

There is fungus issues in SW also. Check out lymphocytis in Sw. That might be what it is. Also known as cauliflower disease.

Oh! That's really interesting. There's always so much to learn in this hobby. Not that I'm saying fungus is a good thing, just fascinating.

Im not sure the exact kind of fish I know its in the Damsel fish family. I think he had some type infection I orderd amoxicillian to treat it but unfortunately the fish died before It arrived.The fish was fine eating good I check them every day for things like that I noticed it Monday evening I didnt have any meds at the time I freshwater dipped it to try to kill any bacteria that might be on it but it didnt help . Tuesday morning he was swimming around and eat good and when I come home that evening he was dead.Im going to also order fluconazole to treat any fungal infection that might occur.

I have 7 other fish and so far the others are good .What is cauliflower disease and how do you treat it?

If it is lymphocytis, that would make it a virus. There isn't anything you can do to treat such and that the fish will be able to fight it off by itself as long as it is able to remain stress free in the tank, IE pristine and stable water conditions and no bullying from tank mates.

The only water condition that I see that might have caused the problem is my ph level . The Ph stays around 7.8 to 8.0 all the time. I have tried diffrent things to try to raise it i opened the top of the aquarium and pointed my power head to the top to try to get more oxygen in the water but that didnt help. Is my ph level ok where it is or do I need yo raise it I have a fish only aquarium ? I ordered somthing called proper ph 8.2 that says it will maintain a constant 8.2 ph level should I use it or leave well enough alone?

Back
Top Bottom