Substate change opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newfishhobbyist

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all. My husband and I are about to change the substrate in our 29 gallon biocube. When we first set it up about 16 months ago, we thought we were being smart by using crushed coral and white sand. It seems like the newbies start out the same based on searches and then inevitably end up changing to sand only. We would like to change to black sand (we made sure to get the non-magnet kind based on the magfloat issues). We would like opinions on the best way to change it out. We were thinking in sections and then we thought all at once by putting our 2 clownfish, 1 yellow watchman goby and several crabs into a temporary home. Here's our main concern: what about all the living things in the current substate? We have pods and some worms and I'm sure some starfish, etc. that we don't want to throw out. Is there a way to transfer them or is losing them the price of changing out the substrate? For the beneficial bacteria transfer, I read in several places to put the old stuff in a nylon hose and put it back in the tank when the change has been made but I'm sure this won't work for the living creatures. FYI: We also have several LPS's and about 30 pounds of live rock (we are adding some more rock during the transfer). Thanks for your time and advice/suggestions!
Happy Tanking! :pepsi:

If you are able to move the fish and everything out temporarily, just do it all at once. Put the LR in a bucket or tubs, and the fish in QT, take it all out, clean it out, LR back in, then new sand.

You can run the sand through a sieve of sorts to try and catch some of the critters, but in they end it probably won't be worth it. Your new sand will become live with new stuff soon enough.

also don't freak when you get those diatoms back. mine came when i switched from CC to aragonite, and didn't do it in sections. that was 3 weeks ago, and now i'm diatom free !!

I have another question for you guys.....
Our tank has bubble algae on the live rock like crazy...
is there a way to 'clean it' before putting it in the 'new' setup?

Back
Top Bottom