substrate change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tlro

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all.

I am considering doing a substrate change from crushed coral to caribsea black sand. My tank is 20 gallons tall, 2 clowns, frogspawn, toadstool leather, green mushroom, and last but not least my bubble tip nem. Any recommendations for this massive undertaking? Can I somehow do it with the critters and liverock still in the tank? Thanks

You have to empty the tank so you would need to take all the rocks and livestock out first then remove and replace the sand.

Last edited by a moderator:
What if I just shut off the powerheads and carefully scooped it out and replaced it?

I would be afraid of a nutrient spike, stirring up the cc bed like that. I would use a vacuum and vacuum out a little bit at a time with each water change till it's all gone, then replace with thoroughly rinsed sand.

I would be afraid of a nutrient spike, stirring up the cc bed like that. I would use a vacuum and vacuum out a little bit at a time with each water change till it's all gone, then replace with thoroughly rinsed sand.

+1 on this id definately be concerned of disturbing the sandbed i had a 55g set up for 3 years once and decided the sand could use a good stirring my nitrate spiked over 100 i lost alot of coral and ended up with hair algae took me several waterchanges and a good 3 months to get the tank back to normal not fun

This is the way to do it

Well right now I have just enough sand/cc to cover the glass. Less than an inch deap. Do you think it could have a lot of nutrients in it? I thoroughly clean it each water change.

You never know... there always could be some lurking around. I would take your time on it

Thank you all for the advice. I guess I will just have to take my time with it. D: haha

This is how I did mine also. It works.

Emerald crab found! All is well so far :)

Hey I'm thinking about changing mine from cc to live white sand. Do you think u can give me some pointers on how u did it?

I was thinking of just vacuuming up the crushed coral a little at a time over 2 weeks w/ each water change and then when it is bare shutting everything down and taking out the live rock but leaving in the fish and then slowly adding the sand not to stir it up too much. Do u rinse the new sand off with tap water or just place it?

Thanks again

You don't even have to take the rock out. You want the rock to sit on the glass anyway, not on sand. Use thoroughly rinsed dry aragonite based sand. It will become live eventually on it's own.

You don't even have to take the rock out. You want the rock to sit on the glass anyway, not on sand. Use thoroughly rinsed dry aragonite based sand. It will become live eventually on it's own.

Ok awesome and should I do it over like 2 water changes or vacuum it out all in one shot? Thanks

Ok awesome and should I do it over like 2 water changes or vacuum it out all in one shot? Thanks

I've heard it suggested both ways. Personally I took it all out at once. I also took my rock out too but that's because I have coral and nems stuck on mine so you could probably just leave yours in. I mean in theory the creatures are used ti sand and all kinds of stuff in the water column. Be prepared for anything though. I syphoned out most of the water into a big container then put my rock and critters in that with the light. Then scooped out the remaining water and my old substrate into a waste container. I gave the tank a good rinse and wipe down. Then I put in my new stuff. I used caribsea arag alive hawaiian black. It comes wet so I didn't rinse it. Then put in some new water and gave the could a while to settle. I put my equipment in, then corals and rock, then fish/other mobile critters. The only thing that put up a fuss was my frogspawn. After a few hours she was back to normal. So far everything is looking better than ever and the whole process took a couple hours. Just have everything you need ready like salt water and a temporary container for the critters. Have a plan in your head and its smooth sailing. So worth it to get that CC out and get something beautiful and functional.

Back
Top Bottom