substrate question for my new 180 Gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saintperez

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am wondering besides the biological boost and the buffering capabilities why I should use strict Live Sand vs. laying down one inch of dry substrate then adding another one inch of live sand on top? It seems it would be a little cheaper???

Most of the time people go with dry stand and then "seed" it with a cub or just a single bag of live sand. With in a month or two the bacteria will start to grow in the sand and it will be live. Its not worth the extra money. After a couple months there will be no difference in biological filtration between them.

I agree!

No since in adding live sand IMHO. Use the dry stuff and you can seed the sand with LR or sand from another tank as pat8you said.

sorry for stealing the thread but can you just pick up the dry sand at like kent or any home building store? and wash it good

sorry for stealing the thread but can you just pick up the dry sand at like kent or any home building store? and wash it good

Some people have done that, but most do not. Reason being the sand from a hardware store is silica sand and will leach into your water. It may look the same as real sand but it is not. It's dingy looking as well when added to the tank versus real ocean sand.

Silica sand is fine to use and isn't going to promote negative effects on the system, but it does have that dingy appearence. Aragonite is preferred due to the grain texture and overall "white" coloration; however, there are no buffering capabilities as to impact the system in either dry nor live. My vote is to go dry aragonite by CaribSea, good stuff :)

ok thanks the LFS here didnt have any sand and i was just seeing if i was looking in the wrong place, but looks like i will have to locate some on the internet

I'm pretty sure every once and a while hardware stores carry sandbox play sand that is aragonite. You have to check but i've heard its considerable cheaper if you can find it and then just make sure you rinse if off real well.

I agree with James. I don't waste my time on "live" sand, I have a hard time believeing it is live after gathering, packaging, shipping, sitting on shelves, all under different temps and conditions.
When I buy bulk, I like drsfosterandsmith.com since their shipping costs are a lot less. I bought 270Lbs of dry sand, a 6 foot lighting system and 3 160G of salt mix and shipping was $15.99.

You want a 3 to 4 inch substrate. I used all florida LS because i could afford it and its a very natural and uniform look. Remember though just because it states Live Sand wont gaurantee its live at all. You could be buying reef sand thats been stored wrong or to long that will be void of most if not all life.

You could use play type sand and get great results.

And yes your sand bed is one of your best bio filters for converting ammonia and nitrate into harmless nitrgen but if conditions are wrong from amount and or water flow problems or feeding habits and or CUC stock or poor rock placement then your substrate will be your worst fear by collecting what it should be converting.

Let me say it this way. The more you have present in your tank the more chance for an algae out break. Also the silica sand is edgy and is harder on sand sifting animals.

Nice reads Cmor! :D

I agree rev, diatoms' outer cell wall is silicate based and with light and silicates can and will bloom. I'm not really sure if this smaller amount can/will effect constant blooms (possibly if you have silicate based sand and replace the light bulbs, you may get another bloom).
The stuff I read was talking about diatom blooms in the ocean, so there may be a difference in quantity of silicate in mass quantities in the ocean versus in our tanks....

Last edited:
For a DSB the silica is much sharper edged than aragonite. Not being able to get Caribbean play sand anymore is a downer. Glad I got mine when I did. I just wished I bought more and stockpiled it.

The fauna within doesn't necessarily make the sandbed "live," just the culturing bacteria and I never see the point of those detrivore kits unless you purchased cured instead of uncured live rock. I've always noticed that mysids are rather sensitive and will perish quickly if not acclimated carefully, but in the right environment (nutrient dense refugium) they can and will reproduce quite readily. Everything else comes with live rock so the only potentially worthwhile animals are the Stomatella, Strombus, or nerite grazers from either kits. Oh, and I've found that the micro hermits fight like cats and dogs regardless of accessible shells and WILL attack snails and corals if given the chance. Like anything else, if it is in their path and given the availability, it is fair game :)

Back
Top Bottom