Substrate Replacement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Engineer Brian

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All

I am new to this forum but I have been in the Salt Water hobby for about 10 years.

I have the original substrate in my 10 year old tank. About 5 years ago I added to the substrate to replace some that got lost during water changes and go to a DSB for a wrasse I had.

The last year or so I seem to be struggling with more algae problems then usual and I have started to suspect my substrate...

I am currently building a new cabinet for may tank and will be breaking down the setup to put it on the new stand in the next month or so. Since I am breaking it down I am wondering if I should replace the substrate. Any thoughts?

I have also gone about a year with a very light bio load for the size of my tank and I wonder if that has negatively affected the BB in my live rock.

Changing substrate can be tricky and cause a lot of water problems. I did it before and it caused a mini cycle. I would recommend removing like 25% at a time and then waiting a few days (or longer) before changing the next batch. Try not to stir it up too much.

A light bioload means light BB. If you increase the bioload you should do it slowly to allow it to catch up.

Back
Top Bottom