Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-27-2007, 06:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
substrate vs. acrylic question

I will be starting an upgrade from my Eclipse system 12 gallon acrylic tank with cc substrate to a 30 gallon seaclear acrylic tank. I clean the tank weekly using a small piece of microfiber towel to scrub the inside walls. I clean all four walls because this an Eclipse system and the new tank will be the same. I bought carribsea fine sand substrate for the new tank but realized that when i try to clean at the substrate level with fine sand........... scratch city. Any suggestions? I could build a 2" cc border around the walls and sand in the middle? Just use cc? Not clean so close to the bottom (not a preferable option). I love acrylic but WILL not scratch it. Any suggestion will be apreciated.

unda_da_sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 08:43 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I would suggest to be more gentle. Maybe get a rubber spatula, that is somewhat flexible. All my tanks are glass, I bet someone will be able to let you know what they use.

Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 11:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
While I don't have an acrylic tank either, I don't get within an inch of the sand with my cleaner magnet. (Don't want to get sand stuck in the cleaner magnet and scratch my glass.) Then every couple weeks I get that area with one of those scraper blades on a stick. I know they make those with "acrylic friendly" blades, but have heard mixed results on their effectiveness.
Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:08 PM   #4
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
As stated earlier you`ll need to be more careful at the substrate level. I would not use anything that rubs the acrylic surface. Some type of acrylic safe scrapper will be better.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

acrylic, substrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com