substrate vs. acrylic question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

unda_da_sea

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I will be starting an upgrade from my Eclipse system 12 gallon acrylic tank with cc substrate to a 30 gallon seaclear acrylic tank. I clean the tank weekly using a small piece of microfiber towel to scrub the inside walls. I clean all four walls because this an Eclipse system and the new tank will be the same. I bought carribsea fine sand substrate for the new tank but realized that when i try to clean at the substrate level with fine sand........... scratch city. Any suggestions? I could build a 2" cc border around the walls and sand in the middle? Just use cc? Not clean so close to the bottom (not a preferable option). I love acrylic but WILL not scratch it. Any suggestion will be apreciated.

I would suggest to be more gentle. Maybe get a rubber spatula, that is somewhat flexible. All my tanks are glass, I bet someone will be able to let you know what they use.

While I don't have an acrylic tank either, I don't get within an inch of the sand with my cleaner magnet. (Don't want to get sand stuck in the cleaner magnet and scratch my glass.) Then every couple weeks I get that area with one of those scraper blades on a stick. I know they make those with "acrylic friendly" blades, but have heard mixed results on their effectiveness.

As stated earlier you`ll need to be more careful at the substrate level. I would not use anything that rubs the acrylic surface. Some type of acrylic safe scrapper will be better.

Back
Top Bottom